`op update` doesn't return newest version download link

Options
askriz
askriz
Community Member

Hey guys!

I've created small automation some time ago that allows using op to unlock your ssh keys. It allows either using your op binary from PATH, or downloads one for you. In latter case, I would like to be able to update the binary easily. To figure out whether there are any new updates, I wanted to use the op update command which claims to return the download link:

$ ./op update --help
Checks for updates. If a newer version is available, a link to download the latest version is returned.

Usage:
  op update [flags]

Flags:
      --beta   Check for beta releases
  -h, --help   help for update

Global Flags:
      --account string   account to use when multiple sessions are active
      --session string   raw session token obtained via 'op signin --raw'

Unfortunately, it does not return the download link. It prints a message that a new version is available, instead:

$ ./op update
Version 0.10.0 is available! (You are running version 0.9.1) Please download our latest version.

This is very odd because this problem occurs on all versions I've checked v0.5.0-v0.9.1 . Is there any other way to get the link to the newest version of op?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• felix_1p
    felix_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @askriz ! That's indeed not that useful. Several ideas have come up how we can improve op update, so rest assured that we are going to tackle that.

Is there any other way to get the link to the newest version of op?

At the moment they only possibility would be to scrape https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/CLI . But even then it might not be easy to compare the current op version against information from that site.

We will definitely look into improving that.

This discussion has been closed.