Can't set up 2FA on paypal.com, although paypal.com works with Google Auth

Options
jeffmcml0527
jeffmcml0527
Community Member

I'm on MacOS 10.14.6. I'm trying to set up my PayPal account with 2FA in 1Password 7.5. I already have PayPal working with Google Auth, but I prefer to use 1Password. However, the entry for PayPal in 1Password doesn't say that it supports 2FA, so I can't scan the QR code. I tried removing 2FA from PayPal and enabling it again, with no effect.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 70500003
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeffmcml0527!

You can configure 2FA for Paypal inside 1Password even without the prompt to scan the QR code. Please follow this tutorial to configure this manually:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

• jeffmcml0527
    jeffmcml0527
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that works. Although not listing such sites in the WatchTower 2FA category is confusing. TOTP is a method for 2FA, after all.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020
    Options

@jeffmcml0527:

What is the exact URL inside the website field of this 1Password item exactly, so we can try checking why it is not showing in Watchtower?

• jeffmcml0527
    jeffmcml0527
    Community Member
    Options

There are two that I've seen:

1. Paypal, the "website" field is paypal.com

2. Zoom, the "website" field is https://zoom.us/. Note that Zoom has 2FA enabled and it works with 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @jeffmcml0527. I checked https://twofactorauth.org, which is our source for this information, and they have a note on Zoom:

Exceptions & Restrictions
    2FA is only available on paid plans and doesn't protect the desktop or mobile apps.

The distinction between availability for free / paid plans may be why we do not include it, but I'll check with the team on that.

PayPal also has a note:

Exceptions & Restrictions
    2FA is only available in a few countries. Contact PayPal on Twitter for an up-to-date list of available countries.

So again I suspect that is the reason we don't list their 2FA support in Watchtower (it isn't universal), but I'll check on that as well. If the team feels it is appropriate to reconsider I'll ask them to do so. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.