Secret key: how to find/recover it?

Options
mcs1728
mcs1728
Community Member

I am running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and 1Password 6.8.9. I recently cleared my cache and rebooted, and am now unable to use the Safari/Chrome 1Password extension because it asks for my secret key and I do not know what this is. I have tried following the instructions to recover it via the website, ap & emergency kit but every time I just get returned to the sign in screen which asks for my secret key. I am puzzled by this because I have been using the ap for many years on multiple devices and have never had this problem before.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcs1728!

I am puzzled by this because I have been using the ap for many years on multiple devices and have never had this problem before.

Only 1Password subscribers have a Secret Key. If you bought a standalone license in the past, you don't have a Secret Key, and from what you wrote, I think you might not have a subscription to 1Password. Can you confirm?

• mcs1728
    mcs1728
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's correct. I bought a stand alone license and do not have a subscription.

• mcs1728
    mcs1728
    Community Member
    Options

So do I now need to buy a subscription to be able to use the Internet browser extensions?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcs1728:

So do I now need to buy a subscription to be able to use the Internet browser extensions?

No, just make sure you download the companion browser extension though. From what you wrote, it sounds like you might have downloaded 1Password X, which is our latest extension that is only available to 1Password subscribers. That one requires a Secret Key to use, so it's possible you might have simply downloaded the wrong one.

• mcs1728
    mcs1728
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't downloaded anything. I just cleared my cache and rebooted my laptop - and then my browser extension disappeared. In fact, I have not found a way to download anything without it asking for a secret key. For Safari, it says 'included with version 7', which I do not have, and for Chrome it demands the secret key.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mcs1728

As Ana mentioned it sounds like you've ended up with 1Password 7 and / or 1Password X installed, but do not have a membership to support those versions. Modern versions of Safari require 1Password 7, which is included with membership. 1Password X for Chrome requires a membership. You can learn more about what membership entails here:

About 1Password membership

We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to continue with an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. Using version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, as mentioned above, Safari 13 and newer use an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

To use v6 in Chrome you'd need to make sure 1Password 6 is the only version of 1Password on your system, uninstall the 1Password X extension from Chrome, and install the companion app extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

Membership is the way forward and would give you access to 1Password X and 1Password 7. I hope that helps!

Ben

• mcs1728
    mcs1728
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben and Ana for your help. I have upgraded to version 7.0.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :) Glad to hear it. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.