[Request] Let us edit items when saving them after generating a password.

Context: When I'm creating an account for a website and I'm asked to create a password, I can use the 1password extension to generate a password.
When I click on the generated password, the password fields are filled automatically, that's working great.

1password then asks me if I want to save the login in 1password.
I have the option to set a title for the login, but the rest (username and password) is filled automatically. The issue I have with this is that other data also gets saved, like a provided address or phone number. Most websites, however, only need that data for the creation of the account, and not to log in.
While it's great that 1password can save this data in case you need it, I would prefer an option to not save anything besides username and password. The easiest way would be an "Edit" button next to the "Cancel" and "Save" button (see attached screenshot). I can then delete the data I don't want to be saved.

The current way is to save the login as is and editing it afterwards. Combining both steps into one would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6.BETA-0 (70600000)
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Demerion

That's a great suggestion. I can definitely see how this will be useful for our more advanced users, but we do have to consider all users, and the "Less is more" attitude tends to work better in that case. Less buttons = simpler apps and happier users (in most cases).

While 1Password does save whatever it can on a page, it will only fill information that is fillable later on, so even if it saves your address/phone number in a login item, it shouldn't interrupt the login process. I can understand it might bother you that the information is there though, although it has zero effect on how 1Password works/autofills, so when you save a new login, you can click on the notification that shows up where it tells you "login saved in 1Password X" and it will take you to its page in your vault where you can edit it on the spot.

Another suggestion I can make is that you generate a password in the built-in password generator (Click the 1Password extension icon on the top left -> Big PLUS icon -> Password Generator), then click the "Copy" button instead of the "Autofill" button. That will allow you to paste the password and won't trigger the save prompt. After you are done signing up, go to the login page and save a new login there with only your username and password.
    The password generator also has a history button in case you lose a generated password after copying it, so don't worry about such cases.

I hope you'll find this info useful :chuffed:

• Demerion
    Demerion
    Community Member

Thank you @Yaron for the reply.

I agree that one of the core principles should be a simple UI that is easy to understand and not bloated.

But in this case, one extra button doesn't bloat the UI in any way, and the label is self-explanatory.
    I know this argument is weak because one extra button a time does eventually look messy, but I strongly believe it's justified here. You called it a great suggestion yourself, and you said you can see why people would want it.

Another use case are websites that, during the registration, ask for the password on a different screen, like after confirming the email address. In this case, 1Password only saves the password, resulting in the user having to manually add the username/ email address. And I can't even use a text expander for that on a Mac because of SecureInput (different topic).

For now, I'll use the workaround you advised to see if it is faster than manually deleting the extra data. I can always just save the login with Firefox and just add it to 1Password the next time I visit the website and log in.

Would be amazing if you could at least pitch this suggestion to the tech team, maybe they say it's not that hard to implement ^^.

Have a nice day!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

Thanks for the followup @Demerion .

I do appreciate your feedback and will discuss it with the team, but being honest here as I don't want to get your hopes up, there's little chance of that happening. But then again - never say never, so we'll give it a go!

Regarding websites with a multi-step login form - you're supposed to save the username in 1Password as a new login, then save the password. 1Password will show a prompt that will allow you to update the existing login (that contains only a username) and it will simply add the password to it. Don't skip the username step!
    If 1Password does not show up in the username field at all, right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Save Login" (after you filled in the username field). That will trigger the save prompt.

There are probably some more neat tips and tricks like this one that makes things a lot easier without that "Edit" button, so feel free to ask if you encounter any other similar scenarios.

This discussion has been closed.