Sync seems slow lately.....

Options
lagreca
lagreca
Community Member

I use BOTH the 1password app plugin and 1passwordX on my computer. Sometimes I will create a password using 1password X and save it, and it won't sync over into the 1password app. I have to completely close 1password on the computer, then start it up again for it to sync. This seems to have started recently. Is this a known problem that is being worked on?

1Password Version: 7.5 70500003
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 and 1.19.1
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: cloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lagreca

I have to completely close 1password on the computer, then start it up again for it to sync.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty. I'd be happy to help.

Is this a known problem that is being worked on?

I'm not aware of any sort of a systemic problem. I just tested and didn't have any problem syncing. Here are the steps I took:

1. Click on the 1Password icon in the menu bar - by the clock
    2. In the resulting 1Password mini window click the gear icon, and then click Open 1Password
    3. Take note of the contents of the list of items
    4. Use the 1Password.com web app in a browser to add a new Login item (I titled it !!!!!! so it would be at the top of the list)
      The new item added in the web app appeared on my 1Password for Mac display instantly

If that isn't happening for you, that would seemingly indicate that something on your system is blocking communication with the 1Password account notifier. The way these changes happen is that the notifier constantly listens to 1Password.com for changes to your items. If that communication is blocked, then you'll only see changes by locking and unlocking or quitting and re-launching the 1Password for Mac app.

So then the question becomes... what on your computer or network is blocking that communication? We may be able to assist in tracking that down, but not knowing what software you may have installed or what your network configuration is makes our insight into that fairly limited. The usual suspects, in no particular order, are:

• Proxies
    • VPNs
    • Firewalls
    • DNS filtering
    • Ad blocking

I'd suggest starting there. If you're using any of those things, either on your computer or on your network, I would suggest disabling them one at a time, re-testing the steps I posted above between each one. Since you mentioned the problem started recently, I'd start with anything you might've added / changed / updated recently. When things start working as expected then you have a pretty good idea of what the culprit was. You may need to add a rule of some sort to allow communication with 1Password, or may need to discontinue use of whatever it is altogether and find an alternate solution in order to get things to work.

Please let me know how it turns out and if there is any further information we can provide that may be helpful to you in figuring this out.

Ben

• lagreca
    lagreca
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is not constant, its intermittent. Which leads me to believe it's likely a bug in either 1password, or a server side issue from 1password. Most of the time it works just fine, but maybe 5% of the time I will run into this problem. The really odd thing is that I can resolve it by quiting the 1password app on my mac, then restarting it, which must force a new sync.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lagreca:

Thank you for the additional information. If the issue cannot reproduced consistently, it might be difficult to troubleshoot and understand exactly what is causing this. I am not aware of issues with the 1Password server, and I have not noticed slow sync on my devices (or indeed heard from other people reporting issues there lately).

Have you gone through the suggestions posted by Ben above already? Is there anything there that you might be using, and which might be causing some interference on your device?

This discussion has been closed.