Trying to change all my logins for the first time

Hello,

I spent a few hours this past week with the trial version of 1password. I have around 20 passwords stored for my shopping, banking,
forums etc. I decided to upgrade to the full version and buy the apps for my iPad & iPhone as well. I am using Windows 7.

I must have around 100 passwords and I want to change all of them with the password generator.
I went through the tutorial for "updating the password online" without any luck for around 3 hours yesterday.
I keep getting "invalid format" when I change my login, or when I change my login and go back and fill in
with the 1password software it doesn't accept my new password. I am using the firefox extension 3.9.9 with FF 17.0.1

I have searched the forum for answers and still not having any luck. Please help.

Thank you,

John

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, John! Thanks for taking the time to contact us. It is great that you are looking to up your security.

Before I go too far, I just want to make sure we're on the same page (both literally and figuratively). These are the steps that you should be following in order to change existing passwords to generated ones:

Changing a Login's Password

Please pay careful attention to the fact that the process requires two different parts: updating your password online AND updating 1Password's local copy. The second part is not optional if you want to be able to log in to the website. 1Password doesn't know you have changed the site's password until you tell it.

If you are stuck at any part, could you tell me which specific step you are stuck on? What action are you taking and what are you [not] seeing happen?

You mentioned an "invalid format" error, but that is not any error that I am aware of in 1Password. Is that an error the website itself is giving you? What steps are you taking that produce the error? Is it only on one site or all of them? If it's only one site, what is the URL? If it's more than one site, could you provide a couple of the URLs where you are seeing it?

With some more details from you we should be able to provide you with more specific assistance.
  • I was using my cable company to start. I was using the instructions on the page you referenced as well. I finally got the cable company to accept
    my new generated password, and then when I try to login to the site again, it says invalid password. I am so frustrated. Do you have a video tutorial
    or do you offer something like teamviewer support so I can figure out what is wrong, as I have a lot of passwords that need to be changed. TY -John
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    John it sounds like you are stopping at the first part: changing the password on the site. You need to make sure you update 1Password's local copy and then use 1Password fill in the login from then on.

As I mentioned above, if you are stuck at any part, could you tell me which specific step of the guide you are stuck on? What action are you taking and what are you [not] seeing happen?

Changing a Login's Password

I really want to help, but I need your cooperation in order to do so.

Thanks in advance!
  • OK, I use Cox Communications for my Cable, Internet, & Phone - Cox.com . I went to my settings to change my password. I followed your instructions
    6 or 7 times. Everytime I change the password and use the one that was generated, and saved, it gives me the message "invalid user ID or password"
    I have to go back and make up a password such as Abc123* for example, enter it manually and it works fine. I have tried over and over, and I don't
    know what the problem is. I have been using computers for 20 years, rarely have to contact support, but this has me stumped.

Thank you.........John
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry you're still having trouble, John. I'm still not sure which step you are actually stuck on. After you change the password on the site, are you pasting the newly changed password into the item and then saving it? If you've been generating a bunch of password, be sure that you are using the correct generated password and not an older one.

PasteNewPassword.png

It may be easier for you to generate a new password in the Login item itself first, and then use that to change the password on the site.

In the main 1Password app:

1. Select File > New Item > Login from the menu bar.
    2. Give the item a new title so you can tell it apart from your existing Login item but enter the same "Location" (URL).
    3. Enter your username and click the "Generate" button to generate the new password.
    4. Log in to the site using the current password, but copy and paste the password from the Login item you just created for the "new password" field(s) on the websites's "change password" page.
    5. You should be able to log in to the site using the new Login item if you change the password to match the one in the new Login item.

Please let me know if that helps.
  • stptfun
    edited December 2012
    Yes, Finally!!! This way worked :) I had been doing exactly as your instructions stated and saved the password in step #2
    and I know you were driving that point home, but I could not get it to work. Is it possible that there were passwords saved
    from me using the trial version and when I bought the paid version something is getting mixed up. Do I need to delete a file
    or something? just a thought....

I did go to a different site (84lumber) and changing the login as directed per your website instructions, it worked with no problem.
    Something was up with Cox.com that was giving me so much trouble I guess. It figures I would pick that one to be the first
    one I tried. I'm going to try a few more and see if I have any luck.

Thanks so much! John
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.