Items in Trash incorrectly being shown frequently

garyhooper
garyhooper
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Frequently I am seeing items in my Trash displayed along with my un-trashed items. It is unclear when/why this occurs. If I display "All Items", the Trash'ed items are no longer displayed, but why are they being displayed in the first place?

It is more likely to occur when 1Password has been locked (for a while), if that helps.

1Password Version: 7.6.BETA-0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @garyhooper!

I have not been able to reproduce this behavior. What do you normally do to trigger this? Do you search in the search bar perhaps? Or something else?

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

It appears to be happening when 1Password locks due to screen saver being activated; this is not consistent. Note that it does not appear to happen when manually locking using Control-Option-Command-L.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@garyhooper:

Thank you for the confirmation. I have tried to reproduce this issue but I could not do it on my machine. I have also checked our internal issue tracker to see if something like this had been reported, but I also found nothing there. We can keep an eye out for similar reports moving forward though, and see if we can get some more information.

In the meantime, can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same behavior after doing this?

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

Due to other 7.6 beta bugs with filling in passwords, I've reverted to 7.5. I will upgrade to the next beta to assess further.

• Thanks for trying the beta. We welcome you back anytime. :)

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

I just upgraded to 7.6.BETA2. Upon first launch, the issue occurs: I see both active and Trashed items displayed, intermixed according to my sort order. In fact, all of my Trashed items are displayed.

Explicitly selecting All Items corrects this. Prior to selecting All Items, this button was not highlighted. Could this be a clue?

• @garyhooper

I'm not seeing this in 7.6 beta 3. Are you able to reproduce the issue there? If so please provide detailed steps to reproduce the issue.

Here is what I'm doing:

1. Quit 1Password completely
    2. Launch and unlock 1Password
    3. Check for any items in Trash in the listing - none present
    4. Allow the Mac's screensaver to come on, locking 1Password
    5. Wait about 10 minutes
    6. Deactivate the screensaver by moving the mouse or pressing a key
    7. Unlock the Mac using my macOS account password
    8. Unlock 1Password
    9. Repeat step 3 with the same results

Thus far I haven't found any way to get deleted items to show up mixed in with non-deleted items. Please let me know. Thank you.

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

I am running 7.6.BETA-3.
    1. I quit completely (by right-clicking 1Password from task bar).
    2. I re-launch 1Password. I enter my password.
    3. My list is showing items from the Trash intermixed with non-Trash items. If I re-sort the list, both Trash and non-Trash items remain. I am showing All Vaults/All Items; these were not selected by me after re-launch.

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

@Ben, I've just repeated the same test, and the Trash'd items are not displayed. So, it is an inconsistent issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@garyhooper:

I have tried to replicate the same behavior again but like Ben I cannot have trashed item show up in the list. If you find a way to consistently reproduce this, please let us know and we will be happy to pass the instructions to the developers :+1:

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

@Ben, @ag_ana The problem is repeating itself, not infrequently, but not always. Observations:
    1. I did not see it in 7.5, just 7.6 betas.
    2. When launching 1Password afresh, All Vaults and All Items are displayed. However, I notice that when the problem occurs, All Items is not highlighted.
    3. On one occasion of seeing the problem, without my interaction (other than scrolling the item list), the screen quickly refreshed itself such that the Trash'ed items were no longer displayed.

Perhaps these are clues for the development team.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional details @garyhooper! Everything is useful :+1:

• bdbuijs
    bdbuijs
    Community Member

I have the exact same issue: also 'all items' is not highlighted when I launch 1Password, and it shows my trash mixed with the rest. It doesn't happen every time, but 9 out of 10 times I launch the app:

The second entry I've redacted is an item that's in my trash.

• misterbiscuit
    misterbiscuit
    Community Member

I encounter this issue frequently as well, though I suspect perhaps it is just expected behavior that some of us find confusing. I moved an item to trash this morning and it continued to be displayed in the list of items until I clicked the "carrot" next to "All Vaults" to "collapse" the list of vaults (see screenshot below) and then clicked on "All Items" in the sidebar. At that point, it disappeared from the list. I'm not really sure how I got into the state of the list of vaults having been expanded.

Then I moved a second item to trash with "All Items" still selected in the sidebar and it disappeared as I expected it to.

Then I clicked "All Vaults" to re-expand the list of vaults and moved a third item to trash, and it disappeared from the list.

Then I locked and quit 1Password (the app only, not the helper) and reopened it. After unlocking it, I came to the view where the list of All Vaults is expended. I moved another item to trash and it disappeared from the list.

Then I collapsed the list of vaults and selected "All Items" in the sidebar and locked and quit the app and reopened it again. Upon unlock, I was seeing the categories, etc in the sidebar as it was when I quit, and All Items was "still" selected. I moved another item to trash, and it disappeared.

Then I locked and quit the app and then right-clicked on the tray icon and clicked "Quit 1Password Completely", and then reopened it. Upon unlock I was again at "All Items" with categories listed, not vaults. I moved another item to the trash and it disappeared.

Then I clicked to expand All Vaults, locked and quit the app, quit 1Password completely via the tray icon, and then reopened it and unlocked it. Upon unlock I was back to the view where All Vaults is expanded. I moved another item to trash and it disappeared.

Difficult to reproduce, indeed. Next I'm going to try restarting my computer...

• misterbiscuit
    misterbiscuit
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

And after restarting my Mac, I am still not able to reproduce the issue again. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I'll try to pay closer attention to the steps that lead up to this the next time it happens, but unfortunately that's tricky to do without knowing when exactly it is going to happen again. 🤔

EDIT: This comment is a follow-up to an earlier comment that disappeared upon editing. It was a long one with a fair amount of time spent authoring it. 😡 In summary, I too experience this issue "frequently" (precisely how frequently I can't say, but it "feels" like often), and experienced it this morning, and tried to reproduce it every which way without success. FWIW, I'm running 1Password 7.6 (70600005) on macOS Catalina 10.15.6 on a MacBook Pro (Regina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).

• @misterbiscuit,

It would be helpful if you could use the 7.7 Betas and confirm whether you're experiencing it there. While 7.6 shipped back in july, the code behind it is closer to a year old at this point.

• misterbiscuit
    misterbiscuit
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

OK, I'll do that I guess, but I think it's a fair question: why is the latest non-beta release based on code that is close to a year old?

• @misterbiscuit

The newer code hasn't been ready for inclusion in a stable release yet. :)

Ben

• misterbiscuit
    misterbiscuit
    Community Member

:-) Well...yeah. I guess what I should have said is: it feels a bit strange to be asked to switch to a beta release in order to avoid/smoke out a bug in what is considered a stable release.

• You're certainly welcome to wait for the next stable release if that would be your preference, though it would be nice if we could confirm for you before then that the changes we've made will resolve the issue for you. We don't mean to push you in a direction you're uncomfortable.

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

I am still seeing this in 7.8 & 7.8.1.BETA-0. It typically happens when first opening 1Password mac app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation and for the update @garyhooper :+1: Our developers will continue to investigate.

This discussion has been closed.