Please explain license vs membership

I am a long time customer and plan to continue to use 1PW- BIG fan, but I am frikking CONFUSED.
Since I HAVE a licence, since 2013 from Agilebits. 1) CAN I continue to use my licenced 1PW now and in the future?
If NOT, is it necessary/mandatory to move to the membership thing? What is the benefit of this, to the customer, (i get how it's a benefit to the business model) And if so- 2) what support exists to be sure that all existing data moves over securely? Thank you.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• A 1Password license entitles you to that desktop platform, for that major version. For example, a 1Password 7 license for Mac entitles you to use 1Password 7 forever (with the caveat that there will eventually no longer be security updates and it is not advised to use a password manager that isn't getting security updates) on all of your Mac computers.

A 1Password.com account on the other hand entitles you to all updates for all desktop platforms as long as you pay for it, with read only access without autofill or edit capability if you stop paying to allow you to export your data.

Additionally, the membership vault is arguably more secure than a license vault, as the membership vault is secured with not just your master password but also a secret key that adds entropy to your vault's cryptographic keys. 1Password.com accounts also handle syncing for you rather than having to use Dropbox or iCloud or similar to sync.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Indeed, thank you for the assist here plttn!

And @Bevmartin, please let us know if you have any additional questions :)

• Another benefit to the membership. I have a Windows computer and I just ordered a new MacBook Pro. The Windows computer will switch back to Linux once I get my new MacBook Pro. I don’t have to buy a new license with all I’m doing. Just download the app, login, and done.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Indeed :+1::)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file