1Passwort icon/avatar colors shift

Options
AdrianF
AdrianF
Community Member

Sometimes when I change the image of an 1PW entry, the colors of that image shift.
It doesn't always happen, but I tried using different image formats (png and ico) and that didn't help.
The images are exported from sketch and therefore should be valid png files.
They also work fine in other programs.

I've linked a screen recording of that bug here. I sadly can't attach that image, because I don't know how to retrieve it from Apples native avatar picker.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AdrianF! Welcome to the forum!

I am curious: if you save the 1Password item after changing the icon, do the colors look correct then?

• AdrianF
    AdrianF
    Community Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi @ag_ana and thank you for your fast reply.
    No. The colors stay wrong and are also off on other clients as well as on the web interface.
    I just had this bug again with the attached png. When using Apples built in avatar picker the colors are off. When adding the image on the web interface they're correct.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AdrianF:

Thank you for sharing the icon! I have tried adding it to an item in my 1Password vault and the colors look correct here:

I am also running 1Password for Mac 7.5. The only difference I see is that I am running macOS 10.15.5 while you are running 10.15.4, although I don't think this is related.

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same behavior then?

• AdrianF
    AdrianF
    Community Member
    Options

That didn't help. I still got the same bug.

I should add that this isn't a new problem. I've probably had that since I started using 1Password and definitely before updating to MacOS Catalina.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @AdrianF. I haven't been able to reproduce this exact case, but I have been seeing some oddities with rendering of custom icons. I'm reaching out to one of our developers who worked on this part of the app to see if we can put our heads together to figure out what is happening here.

Ben

• AdrianF
    AdrianF
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thank you!

I did a more testing and found some patterns that my be helpful to you.

• It seems to be happening to PNGs. I could't reproduce it using a JPEG file
    • Random PNGs of the internet did reproduce this bug so it isn't limited to for example sketch export (because all previous images have been exported from sketch)
    • It only happens the second time that I add them. They display fine on the first try. Video here.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AdrianF:

Do you perhaps have a second Mac to test this? I wonder if this is actually something specific to your machine.

• AdrianF
    AdrianF
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    I actually do and I was able to reproduce it. I was using the same 1PW account though.
    The devices I was using:

MacBook Pro (Retina 13 Zoll, Anfang 2015)
    2,9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15', Mitte 2015)
    2,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @AdrianF. I've filed a bug report on this. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about it. :)

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4783

• AdrianF
    AdrianF
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben
    Hey there,
    I just had the same issues on Transmit, so I guess it's a Mac related problem.
    Would still be great if you could ditch the default image selector :D

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for letting us know @AdrianF. If the image picker is producing unexpected results hopefully that is something Apple can address in a macOS update. Sorry for the trouble. :(

Ben

This discussion has been closed.