Stop 1Password for Windows saving word document

Options

I use 1Password on both Mac and Windows systems. If I open a Word document in the Mac version, it opens a read-only version of the document and does not save it unless you explicitly save it. In the Windows version I am only able to open it by saving it first. This seems like a major problem since:

1) It is inconvenient to have several steps to save, open, then delete it, find the recycle bin and delete it from there.
2) the major security flaw is that even when deleted from the recycle bin, it is relatively easy for a bad actor to undelete it and see it in its unencrypted form.

How can I open a document in read only fashion so it never gets stored?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:stop 1password windows saving word document

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @volcano2,

When you preview a document item in 1Password for Mac (read-only), your document is downloaded and decrypted temporarily for the session, and and if you click Show in Finder, you'll see it is located in a temporary area on the Mac:

If you want to make changes to the document, you will also need to download/decrypt it, make changes to the local copy, and then upload it again to 1Password. This is not ideal, but, again, 1Password is not a file editor.

Windows is different than Mac and there are certain limitations of what documents can be previewed in 1Password for Windows, see this reply from Kate about it in a different discussion, but if you want to make changes to the document in question, your steps will be the same.

Please tell me if it clarifies this situation with 1Password. If you have other questions, we are here to help. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.