Feature request: Use password-rules.json for creating passwords

Hello,
Apple open sourced a ruleset for creating passwords based on sites.

For example PayPal.com accepts only passwords with a max length of 20 characters.

1Password could use this to create passwords based on the page rules:
https://github.com/apple/password-manager-resources/blob/master/quirks/password-rules.json

Kind Regards

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @bueny

We're absolutely looking at this closely to see how 1Password customers might benefit. :)

Ben

• BradVWhit
    BradVWhit
    Community Member

If I understand the purpose of the Apple password manager resources, the benefit is straightforward:
    1Password customers would benefit by not having to remember or look up password rules when changing passwords, just like 1Password frees them from having to remember or look up passwords when logging in.

This is a function I was surprised NOT to find when I started using 1Password. Password rules (min / max characters, required and permitted types of chars, which special chars are allowed or not) vary widely from site to site. Many sites don't list the rules until you have entered an invalid password. I would like 1Password to include a rules specification in each Login entry where I can specify the specifics for that website so 1Password would always generate a valid password.

• We definitely understand, and it's certainly something we'd like to see within 1Password as well, but there's no promises or timeline I can give on this right yet.

This discussion has been closed.