1Password-generated password is "Terrible"

I have a 1Password-generated password. It contains 4 words, hyphen-separated, appended by "-A1". It contains 30 characters in all, 16 unique characters, with a single pair of sequential characters.

1Password states that it is Terrible.

Why?

1Password Version: 7.6.BETA2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @garyhooper

Are you able to reproduce this issue with newly generated passwords?

Ben

• The password above was newly generated in 7.6.BETA2, just prior to reporting this. I have not since seen "Terrible" repeated for newly generated passwords.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@garyhooper:

Thank you for the confirmation. Please let us know if you see this happen again.

• @Ben, @ag_ana To be clear, the password first mentioned above is still flagged as Terrible. I've not seen other newly generated ones flagged as Terrible. If you want, I can share the password with you so that it can be understood.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@garyhooper:

I remember that there was an issue recently where the password strength indicator showed the wrong strength, even if the password itself was good. Perhaps this is a similar issue, so I don't think the problem is with the password itself. Did you create this password with the password generator inside the desktop app, or from the browser extension?

• @ag_ana, it was created by the generator in the Mac app. I don't believe that the password is "terrible", but nor should the UI indicate that it is.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Then it's indeed the bug I am thinking about. Thank you for the confirmation @garyhooper :+1:

• @ag_ana FYI...using 7.6.BETA4, I have another "terrible" password. 20 chars long, 3-word hyphen-separated password generated by 1Password, appended by "-A1".

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member
    edited July 3

@garyhooper:

Thank you for the update. Our developers are still investigating this :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#973

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file