1Password 7.6 for Windows Beta 3 is here with Watchtower notifications support

MikeT
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello!

1Password 7.6 for Windows will now show you notifications on when a new site of which you have an account for has been added to Watchtower. In addition, we've been focusing on stability, optimization and bug fixes for this update as well as improving our accessibility support.

7.6.778 Beta 3 (RC) Changelog on 07/02/2020

[IMPROVED] Updated our translations with the latest from our incredible translators on Crowdin.

7.6.777 Beta 2 Changelog on 06/25/2020

[IMPROVED] When you first install 1Password, the Compromised Websites feature is now turned on by default. {OPW-4873}
[FIXED] On older versions of Windows 10, enabling Watchtower notifications would crash 1Password due to the missing API support for clearing notifications after reboot. {OPW-4865}
[FIXED] When signing out of a 1Password account, the notification connection was not shut down right away. {OPW-4871}
[FIXED] The Notifications tab in Settings was in the wrong place. {OPW-4866}
[FIXED] Removed the minimize/maximize buttons on the What's New window. {OPW-4868}
[FIXED] The Learn More button in What's New now links to details about Watchtower Notifications. {OPW-4872}
[FIXED] Fixed the shortcut logs to follow the shortcut name, not the default key. {OPW-4867}
[FIXED] Fixed a typo in our mini diagnostics report. {OPW-4870}
[FIXED] Fixed the top crash reports submitted by our beta testers, thank you for submitting them! {OPW-4660, OPW-4864, OPW-4863, OPW-4862, OPW-4861}

7.6.776 Beta 1 Changelog on 06/11/2020

[NEW] 1Password now sends notifications when sites have become compromised. {OPW-4528}
[NEW] 1Password now shows a β€œWhat’s Newβ€œ window to highlight exciting new features after a major update. {OPW-4528}
[NEW] 1Password now has preferences to enable or disable notifications. {OPW-4528}
[IMPROVED] Updated to the latest version of the 1Password Brain for saving and filling improvements.
[IMPROVED] Replaced the cursor icon shown when dragging data from 1Password. Instead of the system + cursor, it's now the drag cursor. {OPW-4783}
[IMPROVED] Updated our diagnostics report tool to report the standalone license status. {OPW-4779}
[IMPROVED] Multiple accessibility improvements: performance is faster, in-app banners are now announced to screen readers when copying/moving/emptying multiple items, trash emptying and bulk tag dialogs are fully accessible, and certain keyboard shortcuts are announced as help text when editing an item. {OPW-1509, OPW-4076, OPW-4785, OPW-4792}
[IMPROVED] The item list can be selected and focused with the keyboard shortcut, Control + I. {OPW-4774}
[FIXED] Direct filling could fail if 1Password was locked and Windows Hello was then dismissed and re-enabled. {OPW-4823}
[FIXED] Removed the menu bar from the lock view while on Secure Desktop as it is not usable there. {OPW-4781}
[FIXED] If the content of a password field was selected and focused, clicking the Generate New Password button next to it would not show the password generator. {OPW-4531, OPW-4812}
[FIXED] When switching items, the details view did not reset to the top, which required manually scrolling up to the top. {OPW-4804}
[FIXED] Right-clicking a custom icon in the item viewer didn't bring up the option to save it to disk. {OPW-4611}
[FIXED] Pasting multi-line content into a Software License item's license key field did not include line breaks correctly. {OPW-4852}
[FIXED] It wasn't possible to migrate from a standalone vault to a 1Password account when signing in for the first time if no standalone license was applied. {OPW-4809}
[FIXED] The installed app size was reported to Windows in bytes instead of kilobytes. {OPW-4665}
[FIXED] 1Password didn't wake itself up after the 1Password browser extension sent a wakeUp command. {OPW-4806}
[FIXED] Vault titles weren't announced while navigating down the search results when on the vault sidebar. {OPW-4770}
[FIXED] The next selected item was not announced to the screen reader after deleting an item in the item list. {OPW-3496}
[FIXED] Wrong window title was announced when showing the Empty trash confirmation dialog. {OPW-4788}
[FIXED] Fixed a typo on the HaveIHavePwned URL in the item list. {OPW-4795}
[FIXED] Removed a few logs that may cause 1Password to slow down or hang when the computer is waking up or while it is under severe CPU load. {OPW-4826}
[FIXED] Adjusted the initial process priority started by the 1Password extension to start with the normal priority, this may help with performance issues when the PC is waking up or under a heavy system load. {OPW-4837}
[FIXED] In certain conditions, 1Password could not be restarted due to how certain Windows usernames were set up. {OPW-4836}
[FIXED] Importing 1PIF didn't include attachments. {OPW-3849}
[FIXED] Emptying the trash or favoriting for more than 999 items would fail with an internal database error due to an internal max limit. We now group them into batches to be processed separately. {OPW-4847}
[FIXED] 1Password could attempt to process more than one lock request when already processing the first request. This could occur when disconnecting the PC remotely as multiple system events could result in multiple lock requests. {OPW-4849}
[FIXED] When emptying trash in All Vaults with items that cannot be updated due to permission issues, 1Password would incorrectly show the number of vaults that can be emptied instead of the number of items that would be emptied. {OPW-4854}
[FIXED] 1Password incorrectly duplicated the username field in the Conflicts section after resolving a sync conflict. {OPW-4857}
[FIXED] Fixed a few crashes from the submitted crash reports, thank you for submitting them! If you can reproduce a crash, do write in to us to help us fix them quickly. Crash reports are anonymous and certain crashes can be unique to your computer. {OPW-4660, OPW-4864, OPW-4863, OPW-4862}
[FIXED] On certain PCs, 1Password could spam or loop because it had no available pipe resources to use. {OPW-4844}
[FIXED] Added additional timeout and throttling to our error handling to prevent large spam of errors in certain conditions. {OPW-4859}
[SECURITY] 1Password update file's URL was not properly validated prior to downloading it. {ISE-AB-OP-2020-04, OPW-4782}

Comments

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hello @MikeT!
    Thank you once again for this enormous amount of improvements :chuffed:

As far as I noticed the unlocking problems disappeared, as well as the new drag and drop icon is there
    And didn't have any initial problems up to now :+1:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Hm, in the settings, the new Notifications section... Shouldn't the Advanced section always be the last one?
    This is just for understanding :)

And got some really minor Errors in the debug log:
    7896 22.886 ERROR opw_app::api:702 > could not focus browser window for active session
    This happens if no browser window is opened, I don't really know if this has any side-effect but yeah it's there :unamused:

15920 44.281 INFO opw_app::api:708 > Ctrl+\Alt+\ is used to show mini window.
    There is a backslash too much in front of the "Alt"-key (by the way this is the default shortcut not Ctrl+Shift+2, which I configured)

• MikeT
    edited June 2020

Hi @lumarel,

Thanks as always for your feedback.

Shouldn't the Advanced section always be the last one?

Good one! We'll fix that soon.

ref: dev/windows/opw#4866

This happens if no browser window is opened, I don't really know if this has any side-effect but yeah it's there :unamused:

Does that happen when you try to open sites from 1Password ?

When you do an Open and Fill from 1Password, we have to focus the browser window in order to fill.

There is a backslash too much in front of the "Alt"-key (by the way this is the default shortcut not Ctrl+Shift+2, which I configured)

That's just a quick error message we threw in at last minute to track down certain bugs. We'll fix that soon, thank you.

ref: dev/windows/opw#4867

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT,

Good one! We'll fix that soon.

Does that happen when you try to open sites from 1Password ?
    When you do an Open and Fill from 1Password, we have to focus the browser window in order to fill.

Did test this a little bit more, it happens in 3 scenarios:

• 1Password locked, all browsers closed, triggered by the icon in tray icon area of the taskbar
    • 1Password locked, all browsers closed, triggered by the "Show 1Password mini" shortcut
    • 1Password locked, all browsers closed, triggered by the "Fill Login or show 1Password" shortcut

That's just a quick error message we threw in at last minute to track down certain bugs. We'll fix that soon, thank you.

Off course it's just a short debug message, comes in handy in some testing scenarios for bug reproduction, so thank you that it's there :chuffed:

• I'm not seeing that log about browser focus in any of those cases myself, @lumarel. I could hazard a guess that maybe your app didn't realize your browser was closed. If the NM pipe didn't end, I could see it maybe still trying to focus the browser in case 2 and 3, but the tray icon really shouldn't give a hoot about focusing the browser unless you've selected a Login item to fill. Does this happen as soon as you summon mini in these case? No need to unlock and, say, select a Login item to trigger it?

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hey @bundtkate,

Okay that's odd :unamused:, I tried it on a second device now (which has a fingerprint-reader configured for Windows Hello) as well, and I could also trigger this Error message if the password is used to login. So I was not possible to trigger it using the finger for Windows Hello.
    I did also a restart of the machine, which didn't change anything, all 3 cases showed the error message in the debug window.

It shows up as soon as I bring up mini, and unlock 1Password then (sorry I might have missed that to mention...)
    Then it shows a lot of syncing info, and as one of the last messages there is this one (might also come earlier if the syncing takes longer)

• Strange, indeed, @lumarel. I'll have to do some more fiddling, it seems. I take it you're not noticing any strange behavior associated with that message? 1Password appears to be behaving but for the message itself?

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hey @bundtkate!
    Yep really strange, I can also send a bug report, as well as a more detailed video if you want :+1: (little bit hard here without blurring everything)
    I'm not sure if there is anything visually wrong, so I didn't recognize any problems up to now :) (I could think of a longer timeout because of that, but its as fast as it has been since 7.4) I just get this error message verifiably everytime I use one of the 3 scenarios :unamused:

• Another thought, @lumarel, any chance that you have an extension or similar that might be keeping your browser running in the background? I remember I tried out a Gmail thing a long-ish while back that would allow desktop notifications for my email even when my browser was "closed", but I later realized it was actually keeping Chrome open in the background chewing up resources as it can sometimes do and ended up ditching it. If you could, double-check task manager in one of those scenarios and see if a browser of any sort is sneakily running. As I recall, it wasn't totally clear to me that Chrome was going to keep running so it slipped by me at the time.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

I'm actually pretty strict about running processes (and services) on my systems @bundtkate
    So I disabled this feature for any browser which has it via GPOs :+1:
    To be completely sure I checked that now as well via Task Manager and Sysinternals ProcessExplorer, so yep, I'm completely sure that there is no browser process running :)

I'm thinking about checking if I can simulate the detection which 1Password does somehow, but I'm not completely sure how 1P does that :unamused:

• if it checks for a process-name, I can rule that out
    • if it speaks with some browser sdk or checks the running extension I might have to look into detecting that via a script (or something like that)
    • if it is something else, yeah let's see ^^
  • See my first thought, @lumarel, was that a native messaging pipe between browser and extension hadn't died when it should. I'm going to be a bit less emphatic about this because that process isn't something I'm extremely knowledgeable about, but I think we rely primarily on checking for those pipes. They start up as soon as you start your browser and the extension kicks off that process – not your desktop app – so the only way it makes sense for 1Password to be looking for a browser when there is none is if there's a pipe open. We could check running processes, but I don't think that's the case because if you have a browser running without the extension installed and you try to do a go & fill, we ignore it and instead open your default (which hopefully does have a 1Password extension installed).

Now that's venturing a bit deeper into the outside 1Password architecture than I'm comfortable with so I'm not sure how you'd check if such a pipe is persisting when it shouldn't, but if that's something you know how to do go for it. With that said, I'm still a bit iffy on that theory anyway because your first two scenarios just don't involve filling. If you're not filling we shouldn't care one way or another about browsers and that it was has me scratching my head.

• MikeT
    edited June 2020

Hi guys,

Just shipped 1Password 7.6.777 Beta 2 just now with additional bug and crash fixes. Thanks for reporting them!

[IMPROVED] When you first install 1Password, the Compromised Websites feature is now turned on by default. {OPW-4873}
    [FIXED] On older versions of Windows 10, enabling Watchtower notifications would crash 1Password due to the missing API support for clearing notifications after reboot. {OPW-4865}
    [FIXED] When signing out of a 1Password account, the notification connection was not shut down right away. {OPW-4871}
    [FIXED] The Notifications tab in Settings was in the wrong place. {OPW-4866}
    [FIXED] Removed the minimize/maximize buttons on the What's New window. {OPW-4868}
    [FIXED] The Learn More button in What's New now links to details about Watchtower Notifications. {OPW-4872}
    [FIXED] Fixed the shortcut logs to follow the shortcut name, not the default key. {OPW-4867}
    [FIXED] Fixed a typo in our mini diagnostics report. {OPW-4870}
    [FIXED] Fixed the top crash reports submitted by our beta testers, thank you for submitting them! {OPW-4660, OPW-4864, OPW-4863, OPW-4862, OPW-4861}

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Thanks for the fixes! :chuffed:
    It's getting already really hard to find anything unpolished ^^ (so didn't see anything odd up to now)

@bundtkate Sorry for the late reply.. I'm aware of that my question was going a little bit too far, I just hope this is somehow a sideeffect, which does not really make any problems. Maybe you suddenly find the reason for it, but I think we already dig in too far, too much investment for such minor bug πŸ€”

• Don't worry about it at all, @lumarel. I do love solving a mystery, but if it's not giving you any genuine problems I agree that we don't need to spend too much time on it. If you notice something you think may be enlightening, by all means let me know (and I'll do the same), but don't stress unless it's starts truly breaking something. :+1:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

So... I have to give some updates on the could not focus browser window for active session problem
    After updating to 7.6.778 I get it every time using one of the three methods (the two shortcuts only don't produce the error if a browser window is highlighted)
    I even restarted one device several times because I couldn't believe it. Started the browser first then 1Password, unlocked and locked it but even then I get the error message :unamused: (also running 4 different configured browsers bring the error)

But until now there were no issues with this just more Error messages :+1: :)

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

And another thing which is new since 7.6.778 is, that unlocking needs a immense longer time than in the stable release:

• stable: ~0.8s
    • beta with 3 my.1password.com account vaults/3 my.1password.com and 3 local/Dropbox vaults/2 local vaults: 6.3s

That's... yeah long :|

• Hi,

We released a small update to update all of our translations yesterday.

@lumarel, can you email us your diagnostics report, so we can see what's taking so long. We haven't changed anything since 778, it's a simple translation update with no other code change. We're aiming to ship it as stable after the holiday weekend.

Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Hey @MikeT,

Thanks for your fast reply!
    Hm thats odd maybe I just didn't notice it before.. there is definitely a big difference between stable and beta now :unamused:

And sent the reports now :+1: (but didn't get any ticket-number until now)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lumarel:

Found it! We will take a look and get back to your email as soon as possible :+1:

ref: AEA-46391-976

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Okay perfect @ag_ana :)

• Check your email. :)

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Already did :) (a second time)
    (can't believe it until now, testing again...)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.