Questions on Application Support folder

Options
parpayoun
parpayoun
Community Member
edited June 2020 in Mac

On my 10.13.6 system, the ~/Library/Application Support, contains a 1Password 4 folder.
1. Is it the right name for this folder? (I'm using 1P7)
2. In this folder, I have a ton of backup zip files. Can I delete them safely? I mean, with no consequences for 1P7.
3. Same question for the iCloud Attachments and Data folders.
4. An other way to get rid of all the "so-much-old-files-that-they-are-useless", is to delete the entire 1Password 4 folder. If I do so, will the folder be rebuilt on next launch, with all needed file?

Thanks.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @parpayoun!

1. Is it the right name for this folder? (I'm using 1P7)

Yes, that's the correct name :+1:

1. In this folder, I have a ton of backup zip files. Can I delete them safely? I mean, with no consequences for 1P7.

Older backups can be safe to delete if you don't need them.

1. Same question for the iCloud Attachments and Data folders.

We don't recommend changing the contents of the 1Password folder as it can have unexpected consequences. But at the very least, you certainly should not touch the Data folder, as it includes your 1Password data.

1. An other way to get rid of all the "so-much-old-files-that-they-are-useless", is to delete the entire 1Password 4 folder. If I do so, will the folder be rebuilt on next launch, with all needed file?

I think this would delete all your 1Password data, and it's very likely that the 1Password application won't be able to work again. This is not something we can recommend trying.

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,

I think this would delete all your 1Password data

In those folders there are files that are aged of 8 years!
    All files in iCloud Attachments are dated "lundi 28 avril 2014 à 21:57".

I don't think I need to keep all of them. Just the 3 or 5 more recent ones.
    Nevertheless, I need to be convinced that deleting those files will not break 1P7 behavior.

Can you give me a more accurate answer than "I think…"? (No offense)

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020
    Options

@parpayoun:

Certainly. We do not recommend editing those folders directly, since they contain your 1Password data (even if it's old). There is a reason why 1Password created certain files: if they were not necessary, it would not have created them in the first place.

Everything in those folders was created by your use of 1Password over time, so we cannot know whether it will result in something important that you need going missing (your data is encrypted, so only you know what you have inside 1Password and as attachments to your items).

Because of this, there is a possibility that deleting items from those folders manually (other than older backups that you are sure you won't need anymore) will result in data loss, and as such we suggest you don't do this. If you want to do it anyway, you can certainly proceed however (there is nothing stopping you from moving files manually to the trash), but I need to warn you that if you decide to proceed it would be at your risk.

• Ben
    Options

@parpayoun

In addition to what Ana said, I can say that 1Password 7 doesn't use ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4, so the contents of that folder would be legacy at this point. It certainly wouldn't hurt to back them up before deleting, but if you are using v7 deleting that folder wouldn't affect that version.

I will reiterate that we generally don't recommend manually removing Application Support files without good reason.

Ben

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    Options

I don't get it.
    Either 1P7 is not using Application support, or it does.
    If it does not, then why can't we delete it?

And I have a good reason: there is more than 10 Go of mess in this folder…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@parpayoun:

If it does not, then why can't we delete it?

You certainly can delete it, 1Password won't prevent you from doing it. I am quoting from my previous post:

If you want to do it anyway, you can certainly proceed however (there is nothing stopping you from moving files manually to the trash)

We just recommend not doing so unless you have a good reason to try, for the reasons explained above several times. But as Ben said, it won't hurt to make a backup before you proceed :+1:

• rudy
    edited June 2020
    Options

@parpayoun,

1Password 7's data lives in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 was used by 1Password 4, 5 and 6.

• parpayoun
    parpayoun
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy

Finally, I get an answer that means something.
    Thanks Rudy.

Have a nice day!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of rudy, you are welcome @parpayoun! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.