Warning about (complex) passwords that are "too easy to guess"

PeterHK
PeterHK
Community Member

Since I started using 1Password a few weeks ago, I have replaced my previous passwords by stronger ones, all generated by 1Password. However, some of them are marked as weak in Watchtower, though they are of the fCLgdew-U7GTQ4bUwTDX variety with uppercase, lowercase characters, numbers and symbols. The message in the app reads:

"This password is too easy to guess. Change your password to something stronger."

The browser extension also marks these passwords as weak.
Perhaps this is some caching issue as the previous passwords were indeed weak? However, why does it only apply to select passwords, not more? And after two weeks, caching is no longer an excuse. :-)
After replacing the new password by an even newer, more complex one, the warning does not disappear.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"too easy to guess"

Comments

• Hi @PeterHK

I'm sorry to hear about the situation. Have you modified these passwords in any way, or did you copy & paste them? We are aware of an issue where 1Password may not calculate the strength of a password correctly if it has been modified since being generated, or if it is copy & pasted (instead of letting the generator save it).

Please let me know.

Ben

• PeterHK
    PeterHK
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,
    Just to be sure that I didn't meddle with 1Password's password generation process, I changed one of the so-called weak ones again:

1. Logged on to the site
    2. Entered the password change page
    3. Used the browser extension to generate a password (numbers, upper- and lower-case, 25 characters)
    4. Let 1Password browser extension fill the form fields.
    5. Saved
    6. Waited for half a day to be sure that no outdated (cached) information is shown in 1Password.

Unfortunately, to no avail: The new password is also marked as "weak", both in the app and in the browser extension.

Thanks for your help!
    Best regards, Peter

• Thanks for confirming @PeterHK. I will check with our development team to see if they are aware of this discrepency. Hopefully we can get that fixed up soon.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.