How often should one change one's Master Password?

michael2
michael2
Community Member

I read an interview with Matt Davey in which he recommended changing one's passwords every ninety days. This seems like sensible advice, but I was wondering if this also applied to one's Master Password. Unlike one's other passwords, one actually has to memorize this, and it seems like a bit of work to memorize a new password or passphrase every ninety days. (Perhaps I just have a poor memory.)

In a nutshell, then, my question is this: how often should one change one's Master Password?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @michael2

I think you may have misinterpreted Matt's comments. He said that the advice of changing passwords every 90 days is out there, but that it isn't very practical advice. For context, here is the quote from the article:

There’s a lot of advice out there, but often it isn’t very practical to follow in everyday life. We hear: Change your password every 90 days to something unique

Our recommendation is to use strong unique passwords, and then generally you don't need to change them, unless a service requires you to or you believe that password may have been compromised. Specifically, our advice for Master Passwords for 1Password, is:

Change a weak Master Password, otherwise leave it be

(source)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• michael2
    michael2
    Community Member

You’re right. I misinterpreted Matt’s comments. Thank you for the answer. =)

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.