Machine-Wide Installation Option?

Hello 1Password Forum!

I'm a software packager with a large institution, and I'm hitting a few stumbling blocks trying to sort out setting up a deployed installation of 1Password to our users.

1) Is there a machine-wide installation option, rather than installing to App Data for each user? If this isn't an option, is there an alternate preferred way to have 1Password installed for all users on the machine? Making an active setup to fire the 1Password installer stashed somewhere on the machine comes to mind, but that seems... clunky.
2) the switches -h, --h, -?, /?, and /help don't seem to provide any 'help' from the command line when called with the installer? (PowerShell or cmd); I had to Google to find --silent as an option.
3) Are there any other command line switches? Logging? Restart suppression (is this even needed?)

Some knowledge base on administrative installation and oversight (even if it is 'That's not really how we designed this to work') would be helpful, as I couldn't find any from Googling and a cursory dig through Forums and KBs.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Latest; 7.4.767 at time of posting
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise, mostly 1909
Sync Type: NA

Comments

• We don't officially support any method of mass deployment, @pschwank, so this definitely should be tested before deploying company-wide, but you can deploy 1Password using xcopy:

1. Install 1Password on a testing machine, but do not sign in.

2. Xcopy the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\ directory via your chosen deployment method to everyone's %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\ directory.

3. Run the setup command line parameter on the 1Password.exe file: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe setup

This will terminate once it is done, set up the registry keys to enable Native Messaging support for the 1Password extension, then show the setup screen where your users can sign in. They will need to do this regardless, so you may want to stick with this method. If you'd rather supress the setup screen, though, you can tack on that --silent parameter. There aren't any others at present largely because they're not needed. The installer itself as no UI and no restart is required so --silent pretty much hides all there is to hide.

Alternatively, if you have an existing method to mass-deploy browser extensions and your team uses Chrome, Firefox, or the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, you can also take a look at 1Password X. 1Password X is a full-featured browser extension that doesn't require a desktop app at all. If it's easier for you to deploy and matches your browser choices, it may be something you want to consider. You can learn all about it here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Hopefully this helps, but if you're still having some struggles, let me know here or – if you prefer – you can drop us a line at support+windows@1password.com and we can discuss in some more detail. :+1:

• danielwade
    danielwade
    Community Member

@bundtkate, how might one automate the setup command against the .exe file located in each user's localappdata directory? I am able to copy the files to everyone's localappdata folders on all computers recursively using a powershell command, but haven't figured out running the .exe with the setup parameter on a global scale yet.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@danielwade:

What happens when you execute %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe setup exactly?

This discussion has been closed.