Logins

Dan_M
Dan_M
Community Member

I don't object to logins requiring more than one 1Password item, but when I go back for the second one (pin, etc.), my list of favorites has scrolled to the top again. If I scroll to the correct item, it is highlighted . . . but is not appearing without scrolling. I am sure this was not the case for me with 1Password 6. Thanks.

MacOS 10.13.6
1Password 7.5

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dan_M!

I cannot reproduce this issue in my 1Password for Mac. Can you please share step by step instructions on how to make this happen, so I can see if we can replicate the issue? Thank you!

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

Amazon: Click on Amazon in 1Password mini, goes to screen with e-mail filled in. Hit continue, goes to screen requesting password. Go back to 1Password mini, and it has scrolled to my first entry in Favorites (AAA). I scroll down to Amazon, and it is still highlighted, but I have to select it and hit autofill to fill in the password. Happens with other sites also.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Dan_M:

Out of curiosity, do you see the same behavior if you fill your information with the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut, instead of clicking every time on the 1Password icon?

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

I use very few keyboard shortcuts . . . none with 1Password. Don't even know how that one works.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@Dan_M:

If you press Cmd followed by \, 1Password will fill your credentials on the page you are on, without having to open the 1Password extension at every step. If you try this method, do things work better for you or do you still see the same behavior?

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

Command and 4 asterisks?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@Dan_M:

Ah sorry, the forum replaced the backslash character in my original post, so I have edited it to show it again. I originally wanted to show it in bold, but it looks like the forum does not allow me to do it :)

After pressing the Cmd key on your keyboard, press the backslash key (the one that looks like this: \ ), and 1Password will fill your credentials on the page.

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

That command does fill in the password for Amazon. Tried this with USAA, another problem area. Deleted and recreated the 1Password login several times. Cannot get that site to open to the actual login page, but only to the main page where I have to click login. It then fills the username and password, but when I go to the pin page, the command only opens 1Password mini . . . to the wrong item. Have to scroll to USAA pin and auto fill. May have to live with it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Dan_M:

Cannot get that site to open to the actual login page, but only to the main page where I have to click login.

Make sure you use the correct login URL in the website field of your 1Password item, if you want 1Password to open directly to that page:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon

It then fills the username and password, but when I go to the pin page, the command only opens 1Password mini . . . to the wrong item.

Is your 1Password mini set to open to Suggestions? It should look like this:

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

Yes . . . I am using the correct URL. Still opens to the main screen where I have to select "Login" to advance to the actual login page. Username and password are filled in when I do that. When I advance to the pin page, keyboard shortcut opens 1Password mini to the very top of favorites. If I then switch to "open to suggestions", it displays both USAA login items (wrong one highlighted). If I change preferences to "Open to suggestions", then I have to manually navigate to the USAA site . . . when I could then see suggested logins.

• @Dan_M

It appears USAA takes you to the hope page automatically, even with 1Password disabled, if you haven't been to the homepage yet that browsing session. When I click the link https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon from a fresh browsing session I'm taken to their homepage, instead of the login page. As such I don't think there is anything we can do about that point. It seems they've intentionally designed their site to operate that way. As for the other issues, I'd suggest saving an entirely new Login item, and seeing if that works better.

1. Open 1Password > Preferences > Mini and make sure 'Open 1Password to' is set to 'Suggestions', then close preferences
    2. Open your web browser and navigate to https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon (then to the login page, if necessary)
    3. Follow the instructions here to save a new Login item: How to save a Login manually in your browser
    4. Title the login something recognizable like USAA [new]

Close your browser and start fresh, visiting the USAA site. Does it work as expected using the new item?

Ben

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

With the new login, I now have it opening to the actual login page, with username and password filled in . . . so that is an improvement, if it holds. No change on the pin, even after saving a new login for that also. The keyboard shortcut opens suggestions, which shows all USAA items and the wrong one highlighted. I had mini opening to favorites, which has all my logins, minus documents, etc. You're not suggesting all logins should be in suggestions? Otherwise, I am forced to toggle from favorites (to go to a site) to suggestions, to get login suggestions. I am quite sure that I did not have to do that in 1Password 6, and that suggestions would arise from recognition of the site that I'm on?

• That sounds like a bit of an odd setup, to be honest, @Dan_M. You have all of your Login items in Favorites? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? :) Most folks just have their most frequently used items marked as Favorites. For example, I've got 720+ Login items, but only 15 are in Favorites. As for mini, the default option is to open to Suggestions. This way mini can show you items based on context, e.g. the web page you're currently on. If you set it to always open to Favorites (or 'All Items'), it will not have that context. The default tends to be the most sensible option, as 1Password is designed to work based on context. Obviously we offer the others as options for a reason: some folks prefer one workflow to another, but I'd suggest that the more you fight the standard setup the less intuitive you'll find 1Password, which may be a source of frustration.

Ben

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

When I didn't have them in favorites, I was getting documents and everything else. I don't usually have the full app running, just mini. You're saying have the full app open all the time, and use that to navigate to sites (or navigate to sites manually?) . . . then mini to suggestions? I should add that some sites . . . such as Amazon and Bank of Amazon . . . open correctly, and fill the password with the keyboard shortcut . . . with my current setup.

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

Bank of America.

• @Dan_M

Right; I'd say that most folks leave 1Password on the default 'Suggestions' setting for mini, and use their browser's built-in functions (bookmarks, address bar autocompletion, etc) to navigate to websites. I'm not saying you have to do that, but that is sort of the assumed workflow. For example if I want to navigate to Bank of America I just start typing ban in Chrome and it fills in the rest for me. Then I activate 1Password to fill the suggested Login item.

Ben

• Dan_M
    Dan_M
    Community Member

I can live with it. I only have 133 logins, and used favorites because all items would show my passport and other non-login items right at the top. "Log-ins" is not an option in preferences, only all items, favorites and suggestions. I don't care for bookmarks, because they become a continual mess . . . one of the reasons I went to 1Password. I can use address bar autocompletion. In 1Password 6, I could select the site in mini, and, when there, go back to mini and get suggestions (properly presented), without doing anything with preferences, and without having the full app open. So . . . not sure I understand the direction from a functionality/user experience. Thanks for your help.

• You're very welcome Dan. And thank you for taking the time to outline your perspective on this. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.