1password4 <-> itunes file share <-> windows

How to do this?
I am able to select individual files from the keychain not the whole thing as a whole?

Here is screenshots.

In selectfile1.png i select the keychain and press open.

then the selectfile2.png opens..

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Unfortunately I do not believe that iTunes allows adding an entire folder. The data is a file bundle which shows as a single file on Mac, but it is a folder in Windows since Windows does not support file bundles.

We're looking into this to see what can be done.
    Community Member
    Any news regarding this issue?
  • zazan
    zazan
    Community Member
    Any progress, guys?
    Some apps offer the following:
    - copy folder from iTunes to PC
    - zip it on PC
    - move back to iTunes then app on iOS handles a file.

You, guys, are so busy with complex things so you miss simple but very desirable.

Great app, btw. Have started using it on iPad but iPhone remains empty... No way to sync/copy without Mac (pls don't offer cloud).
    Hope you'll find solution quickly.
    Cheers
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Dropbox syncing is the preferred method of syncing since it is automatic (not manual) and is extremely secure.

Security of storing 1Password data in the cloud

But if you can't or won't use Dropbox then iTune File Sharing should be a good solution for you. I don't have anything more to report right now, but I will post back here as soon as I do.

We really appreciate your patience.
  • The OP pointed out that you can copy a folder from iTunes to a PC, but you can't copy a folder from a PC back to an iDevice through iTunes. So, iTunes sync doesn't work with Windows. Many customers don't want or can't use dropbox syncing. In any case, there should alway, at least, be a fallback manual file copy method.

With KeePass and the MiniKeePass App, a single kdbx file can be copied back and forth through iTunes. And, that file can be sync'ed with another kdbx file (so changes on both can be merged). This is basic stuff. The same could be done by zipping your folder. It seems like your company has little interest in the Windows version.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The OP pointed out that you can copy a folder from iTunes to a PC, but you can't copy a folder from a PC back to an iDevice through iTunes.

That's correct. That is the issue at hand which we are looking to resolve in the best way possible.

The Agile Keychain Format was designed for ease of syncing which is why it is a file bundle rather than a flat file. This means that one tiny change doesn't require the entire data file to be uploaded and downloaded by every other computer or device you are syncing with. Only the small file representing that specific item needs to be synced.

Unfortunately, Windows still does not have support for file bundles so the data shows as a folder instead. This could easily be resolved by Windows supporting file bundles or iTunes supporting folder transfer bidirectionally for the iTunes File Sharing feature. That it supports it but only unidirectionally is puzzling.

However, we're certainly not sitting around waiting for Microsoft to improve Windows or Apple to improve iTunes. As soon as i have more to report, I will report it here.

Thanks for letting us know that you too would appreciate an improvement in this area.

If there is anything else I can help with in the meantime, please do start a new topic so I can best assist you. I would be happy to help.

Cheers,
  • dmf
    dmf
    Community Member
    Why don't you use the file format you have for the backups of 1Password data for Windows (*.agilekeychain_zip)? Creation of a similar compressed file for handling a multple file content is being used in other apps ( just an example is Heredis from BSD Concept).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    That is a good idea, and it is certainly one avenue we have been considering pursuing. I'll be sure to post back here when I have something more concrete to announce. Thank you for following up on this!
  • khad wrote:

waiting for Microsoft to improve Windows

Please add there Unix, Linux, Android and the rest of the world. "Bundle" is specific to Mac, and it is not going to be adopted by any other OS or file system. Ever.

There is nothing wrong with using the concept, but then it has to be implemented in a platform-independent way. It can not rely on any OS-specific feature.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks, baga. It was a surprise to me that iTunes doesn't support drag and drop of a folder in iTunes File Sharing, but as I already wrote above, we are working on a solution. We'll have more details when it is available. :)
  • sparks14
    sparks14
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    So the only way to sync from a Mac to an iPhone with iPassword 4 is via Dropbox? I've made changes on my Mac 1Password 3.8 and trying to sync to my iPhone 1Password 4 and can't figure out how to do it? I'd really prefer to manually sync them at this time.

Update: OK...so I did find the way to do it on the Mac....but you first have to unhide your Library directory and then follow the directions on syncing with a Mac. Once you do that you have to then go into settings on the iPhone and merge the files.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2013
    Dropbox has always been the only supported method of syncing in 1Password for Windows. As I mentioned in my reply to your near-duplicate post, please proceed with caution. What you described is not supported. Direct syncing via USB is in the works in OS X, but I don't have any details about its availability in Windows right now.
This discussion has been closed.