Documents in 1Password - what do you store there?

MerryBit
MerryBit
Community Member

I've been using 1Password to store my passwords (obviously) for a few years, but lately I've been thinking about what else I could store in there for safekeeping. That led me to think some more about the Documents category where you can basically store any file you want. Initially, I put the most important documents there, like the deed for my house, car registration papers, and so forth, really anything you'd otherwise store in a safety deposit box at a bank.

After a while of going about my business, however, I realised that those documents may be tucked away very safely in 1Password, but they're also very much out of reach of other applications (like if I wanted to send a copy of that document to someone) and equally out of reach of any search function of any application, eg. you won't find anything stored in there if you search for it via Windows File Explorer.

Compare that to keeping those documents in, say, Google Drive. Files stored there are eminently searchable (you can even find text inside PDF files) and easily shareable via email. In my case, being able to find a file via a search function and being able to share it via email is often more important than having it stored away in a digital safe like 1Password.

So, I'm curious: What do you people store in there that you wouldn't want to store in regular cloud storage like Google Drive or some other cloud storage you trust to store your other files? And why? I'm basically looking for real-life examples to open my eyes for use cases for 1Password Documents I hadn't thought of.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MerryBit!

So, I'm curious: What do you people store in there that you wouldn't want to store in regular cloud storage like Google Drive or some other cloud storage you trust to store your other files? And why?

Personally, I store document scans in 1Password, and copies of my Emergency Kits. That's something I don't want to share on other cloud storage services, but I like having access to them within 1Password in case I need them.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I have my taxes there from the last 7-10 years, documents when we got our house, business papers for the company we own, insurance papers, and other things. I think its great. The fact I have vaults shared between my wife and I, we both can access this too whenever.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

The tax documents suggestion is a very good one @prime, thank you for sharing :+1:

This discussion has been closed.