Disappointed in new business model for a different reason...lack of and cost of syncing options

I understand the need to make money. I likewise appreciate that while you are primarily marketing the membership/account business model, that you still offer the standalone version/license. I purchased the upgrade to 7 for mac last year. Historically, I've kept purchasing standalone version upgrades and the pro features when you had those. Your product was worth it. I have been a standalone users for close to a decade. Your product was attractive and I have stuck with it for so long because of what i call it's "simple elegance" of 1Ps inherent security and the ability to keep everything local--and/or sync through a variety of options.

My disappointment is 1P has lost that elegance regarding syncing and local use options. Gone is wifi syncing--replaced by wlan which your own descriptions seems to suggest is an unreliable sync option--or more correctly I believe you say there are more reliable options. Yes I can use dropbox, but dropbox now requires $120 a year if I want to sync more than 3 devices. Of course I could open a 1P account but that would cost an additional $36 or $60 a year and like dropbox would not be local. I can sync to my NAS from my Macs, which is nice, but I then have no options for syncing to my NAS for iOS devices (i.e., there is no "folder" option) except for WLAN. It seems you are driving everyone to more and more subscriptions by limiting syncing options to dropbox ($120); 1P account ($36, $60 or more); or iCloud ($12 to $120 unless you use their free 5GB).

As good and creative as you have been over the years it seems you are missing an installed base (or a bigger market) by not offering local solutions for syncing-- especially those of us who want our data local and have the infrastructure (our own servers) to do so.

Please read this as feedback and a suggestion/request. Are there any plans to add a folder choice in the iOS version? All my iOS devices sync wonderfully with my server so I know they can do it reliably. I simply don't have that option in 1P that I can see. If I am missing something, please correct me! Honestly, without such an option, I'm researching what application besides 1P, has that flexibility, or something similar, as a password manager. Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @btk! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us! We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts here :)

My disappointment is 1P has lost that elegance regarding syncing and local use options. Gone is wifi syncing--replaced by wlan which your own descriptions seems to suggest is an unreliable sync option--or more correctly I believe you say there are more reliable options.

Wifi sync is the same as WLAN server sync: sync happens through your wireless network in both cases. It's just a different name :)

Yes I can use dropbox, but dropbox now requires $120 a year if I want to sync more than 3 devices. Of course I could open a 1P account but that would cost an additional $36 or $60 a year and like dropbox would not be local. I can sync to my NAS from my Macs, which is nice, but I then have no options for syncing to my NAS for iOS devices (i.e., there is no "folder" option) except for WLAN. It seems you are driving everyone to more and more subscriptions by limiting syncing options to dropbox ($120); 1P account ($36, $60 or more); or iCloud ($12 to $120 unless you use their free 5GB).

Indeed, all third party sync methods (and their pricing) is something that we have no control over. This is why we decided to build our own sync option so we don't have to rely on anyone else. We believe a 1Password membership offers good value for money, especially since it would not just offer sync, but a lot of other features.

Are there any plans to add a folder choice in the iOS version?

We have no plans to support additional sync methods at the moment. We built 1Password.com exactly to avoid having to rely on a third-party service to sync your data. Our own sync service does not have any limitations whatsoever, and is the most optimized sync method for your 1Password data. Because of this, we think that it's the best option for our customers, and we prefer to put our development effort into making it the best we can.

But in your case, it looks like you want to keep your data locally, which is something that you can already do with the WLAN server option to sync your data via wifi.

• btkbtk

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am for now using WLAN for iOS devices to sync with my macs. It works but is cumbersome compared to if I could simply choose a directory on those devices that already/normally sync with my NAS. Hope you add that like you have done on the Mac version of 1P. Again thanks for now.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback @btk. In the interest of full disclosure, we do not plan to add any additional sync options, but I'm glad to hear that for now WLAN sync is doing the job for you.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file