Problem with 1Password and Mini trying to start up for Mac user not associated with 1Password acct

Options
timbinaz
timbinaz
Community Member

I'm running single-user 1Password on a Mac with two different users (call them A and B). Everything works fine for user A whose email is associated with the 1Password account. For user B, with a different email address and Apple ID, 1Password and Mini start up when that user logs in. But both are unusable. There's no vault selected and I can't add the user A vault. So how do I stop 1Password and Mini from trying to start up for user B? I don't want to uninstall 1Password and screw things up for user A.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 7.5
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to prevent startup of 1password 7 for one user on mac

Comments

• timbinaz
    timbinaz
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I have the same setup on a MacBook as on the iMac (where I ran into the problem described in the previous post). On the MacBook, I can access the 1Password vault for both users. Back on the iMac, 1Password and Mini are no longer trying to start for user B. I went ahead and launched 1Password for user B to see if I could access the vault, like I can on the MacBook. It doesn't work. There's no vault selected so entering a master password doesn't open anything.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @timbinaz!

There's no vault selected so entering a master password doesn't open anything.

What do you mean by this? How are you checking that no vault is selected exactly?

I can't add the user A vault.

What happens exactly when you try to add the user A vault? Do you get an error message?

• timbinaz
    timbinaz
    Community Member
    Options

I log into the user B account. Go to my Applications folder. (Somehow, I managed to stop 1Password from trying to start up automatically at login.) The Master Password window pops up, but won't accept my password. In the 1Password menu bar, I select Preferences -> Accounts. There are no entries in the account window. It tells me to click on + to add the account, but + is not enabled. I don't know how else to add the account.

• timbinaz
    timbinaz
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to add the step where I double-click on 1 Password in the Applications folder to launch it. Then the Master Password window pops up.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @timbinaz. It sounds like user B had 1Password set up in some form at one point (perhaps even with just an empty vault). If you'd like to reset whatever is there and start fresh you can use the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data option. This would not have any effect on user A if done within user B. That should get you back to the 'welcome' screen, where you can sign into your account.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• timbinaz
    timbinaz
    Community Member
    Options

Resetting 1Password data resolved the problem. Everything is working again. Thank you!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Glad to hear that sorted it. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.