How often and when does syncing occur between the Win10 apps and 1Password X browser extensions?

Options

And can syncing be initiated manually? New entries created in 1PasswordX browser extension seem to be immediately available on all other browsers, but haven't yet shown up in the apps.

1Password Version: 7.6.778
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: Win 10 1909
Sync Type: ??
Referrer: forum-search:sync between app and browser extension

Comments

• fleadhfan
    fleadhfan
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I probably should have asked this in the Windows topic area.

• If both are running and unlocked, @fleadhfan, then sync should be nearly instant. What happens if you make a change in your Windows app? Does that show up in your extension right away?

• fleadhfan
    fleadhfan
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, bundtkate! (clever username, btw; I love it.) I think it's happening now as it should. I've just started using the program so was mostly trying to understand what to expect. The first few times it was taking several minutes, but now seems to regularly be reflecting updates in the app within a minute or two (and sometimes even sooner), which isn't too bad.

• meestertoth
    meestertoth
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar question: have been using the Desktop version for a while, just installed the Chrome extension and was using it to update some passwords. It's been 5 minutes, both are open and unlocked (desktop and extension), and no reconciliation has occurred. When can I expect that the extension will update the Desktop?

Thanks much

• I'm glad it's working, @fleadhfan! Honest, the most frustrating thing about sync is that issue are often somewhat transient and it's a complicated enough system that by the time I've ruled a few things out, it's often fixed itself. I guess that's not truly something to gripe about, though, as fixed is fixed and less work for everyone so might as well be happy things sorted themselves out. :lol:

As I mentioned before, @meestertoth, sync should be nearly instant, but if ever it's not, locking and unlocking the app not picking up changes will usually help. :+1:

• Justcruzinthru
    Justcruzinthru
    Community Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

@bundtkate I'm having a similar issue and it's not nearly instant. I have a 1password.com cloud account, I use the Chrome extension consistently, and I also have the Windows 1Password app on my Win10 laptop. There are occasions where the new password is not saved within the desktop app in a reasonable time frame. When I log into the cloud account, which I rarely if ever do from my laptop, the new password is there. So the sync between the Google Chrome extension appears to be working with the cloud service, but not down to the desktop. I've looked for a 'manual' sync option, and I thought there used to be one, but doesn't appear to be one any longer. I have an example right now, where I changed a login password at July 13, 2020 12:48, it's now July 13, 2020 13:00, and when I reopen (for the third time) the desktop app, it still has the old password and no where does it list the new. Please advise. Thank you.

• Have you locked/unlocked at all, @Justcruzinthru? After a few reports of this and seeing something similar myself over the last weekend when working on taxes (gross) and trying to transfer documents from my phone to my PC using 1Password, I stole one of our engineering team and dug into it a little more and we found a weird intermittent issue where this will happen and remote changes won't get pulled in until the back-up sync time runs (1 hours intervals), you lock/unlock, or you make a local change in your desktop app. I was personally baffled, but thankfully one of our developers knew exactly what to blame and has already fixed it up internally. I believe that change is still undergoing some review, but it should be in the next update with any luck and, of course, any of the above will fix it up in the meantime. :+1:

• Justcruzinthru
    Justcruzinthru
    Community Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hello @bundtkate and thank you for your reply today. I closed the app, but I think it was left unlocked as I don't recall having to reenter my password or provide a bio print.

i did check back on the desktop app at 16:33, and the new password was saved. The timestamp matched the actual time of the revision that was saved within the cloud account, so I have no way of knowing when the data sync occurred on my desktop.

I created a new account today, using the Chrome extension. I happened to still have the desktop app open. I checked the desktop app right away after the save, and the new account was not there. I went into the 1Password dropdown menu, selected 'Lock', it took a few seconds (hourglass), then I unlocked it (another hourglass), and the new login credentials were there in the desktop app. So, it appears that locking/unlocking the desktop app may force a data sync with the cloud service.

My preference, provide a manual sync, unless it's less secure.
    Thanks again for the help.

• bundtkate
    edited July 2020
    Options

Basically, @Justcruzinthru, if you have to enter your Master Password, everything that was missed should sync up (with timestamps intact because that comes from the server). If you need something to sync up right away (as I did last weekend), you can click the lock button in 1Password for Windows near the top right or press Windows Key + Shift + L, then enter your Master Password again right away. That should force a sync right away.

And again, this is a known issue with remote changes made specifically while 1Password is unlocked (and even then, only sometimes, apparently) so it will get fixed up so it syncs without the extra steps in a future update. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.