Why does the 1Password MacOS Safari Extension take 14 bounces to load when Chrome only takes 3?

Options
JimmyMtl
JimmyMtl
Community Member
edited July 2020 in Mac

I've been finding Safari slow to load for the past year. Today I finally made time to discover why.
After backing up the system and making a TM snapshot, I've cleaned out history, caches, autofills, cookies, and disabled every extension.
Restart.
Safari loads in 2 bounces. Quit. Relaunch - still 2 bounces.
Enable the 1Password extension. Safari now takes 14 bounces to load. Quit. Relaunch - still 14 bounces.
Even with restart. Even with disk utility verification and 256gb free on an SSD and no other apps running.
The Chrome with 1Password extension loads in 3 bounces.

Notes: since I have a 1Password family subscription, I believe the syncing is via 1Password.com but my old standalone library may still be using dropbox. I'm open to changing sync, archiving vaults, almost anything to make Safari work again, except upgrading to 10.15+.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension slow

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @JimmyMtl

I'm sorry to hear 1Password seems to be slowing down the launch of Safari for you. For reference: on my 2018 MacBook Air running macOS 10.15.5, Safari 13.1.1, and 1Password 7.6, Safari's window is visible after 1 bounce of the dock icon (roughly 1.5s). I am using a 1Password membership instead of Dropbox but I'd be surprised if that were the difference here. To be clear: you're seeing this incredible lag even when 1Password is the only extension enabled in Safari?

Could you please let me know what version of Safari you have installed?

I'm open to changing sync, archiving vaults, almost anything to make Safari work again, except upgrading to 10.15+.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, would you mind sharing why that isn't an option?

Thanks.

Ben

• JimmyMtl
    JimmyMtl
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running Safari 13.1.1 (14609.2.9.1.3) and 1Password is the only extension.

Since I'm a 1Password family subscriber, I also believe that the syncing is through that service; however, in the 1P application preferences, I still see the old standalone vault using dropbox. I've been on 1P for years.

I also use some older illustration and photo editing software from a company that moved to an exorbitant subscription model (not reasonable like Agilebits) and 10.15 irrevocably breaks these applications. When 10.16 is GM, I'll consider building a VM of an older MacOS iteration to maintain my legacy software. I still play Freeverse card games using SheepShaver so the concept isn't anathema.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimmyMtl:

Thank you for the confirmation of the Safari version. That is the same one that I use, and I have never experienced this behavior. Like Ben, I am also running macOS 10.15 though, so that seems to be the only difference. I also have to say, however, that I don't remember this issue being mentioned even when I had macOS 10.14, so it might not even be related to the operating system.

• JimmyMtl
    JimmyMtl
    Community Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

update: I performed a clean install of MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). Safari worked perfectly. I next Installed 1Password and connected to my family account without using an iCloud or Dropbox sync. The 14 bounce behaviour came back. I can say with confidence that this behaviour is due to the 1Password extension.

• @JimmyMtl

I have to admit I'm scratching my head a bit here. I apologize for the frustration caused. I had one of my colleagues test on macOS 10.14 and even with that version he was unable to reproduce the symptoms you're describing: Safari bounces twice before opening regardless of if the 1Password extension is enabled or not.

Would you be willing to try something else for me? I'd like to rule out your account or dataset as the issue... Could you please try signing up for a new 1Password Families membership (trial), reset 1Password for Mac (Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data), sign in only to the new trial account, and then see if Safari still bounces an excessive number of times with the 1Password extension enabled? And if you disable the extension it goes back to normal?

Thank you.

Ben

• JimmyMtl
    JimmyMtl
    Community Member
    Options

I am willing… but it'll have to wait until next Monday as I'm working on things that require 1P these days. It's such an unusual behaviour, and it only affects Safari — not Chrome or Firefox — that I suspect it has something to do with my 1P data. I've been amalgamating (hoarding) passwords in 1P since 2008, so it's possible there's some oddity that crept in during a database version upgrade. The 1P Families vault is not like the previous incarnation, which isn't like the original Apple keychain method 1P used. Perhaps it's my history catching up. Either way, I shall endeavour to track it down next week. Thanks, Ben.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @JimmyMtl, sounds good. Let us know what you find out :)

This discussion has been closed.