Browser extensions go missing after 1Password app is updated

Options
tom_h
tom_h
Community Member

I am using a Mac, and for the last few versions (sorry, I don't remember exactly when it started) I noticed that the browser extensions seem to go missing after the 1Password app is updated. The only way I can get them back is to restart the computer. This has happened in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. Is this a known issue? I don't remember this happening before, and I have been using 1Password for several years. I have seen the same behavior in Mojave, and Catalina (2 different computers - 1 has Mojave, the other Catalina).

The specs for my current computer are:
Macbook Pro 2019
MacOS Catalina 10.15.5
1Password 7.6 (Mac App Store)
Firefox Extension 4.7.5.90

Any information you can give is appreciated.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:browser extensions go missing after update

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tom_h!

When you say that they go missing, do you mean that the icon disappears in your browser, or that the extensions are completely removed from your browser, so you have to install them again?

• tom_h
    tom_h
    Community Member
    Options

The icon is there, but disabled. When I use the shortcut CMD + \, I see a message that says "Install the 1Password extension ..."

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tom_h:

Thank you for the screenshot! Some updates might cause the extensions to become temporarily disabled, but rebooting should not be necessary. If this happens again to you, can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password?

When you see this behavior with the extensions, usually quitting and relaunching 1Password fresh after an update is enough to enabled the extension again :+1:

• tom_h
    tom_h
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip ... I tried tried that and verified it works (I sent the screenshot from my other computer that I had not restarted yet). Now that you mention it, I have sometimes come back to the computer and seen the message that "1Password can not be open during installation", so I am guessing that is related to my issue. I do leave the 1Password application open all of the time, so I am guessing that when the auto update is happening, it either doesn't quit the application if it is open, or doesn't have the permission to do that, so not everything that is needed for the app to work can be completed.

Thanks again for the help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tom_h:

I do leave the 1Password application open all of the time, so I am guessing that when the auto update is happening, it either doesn't quit the application if it is open, or doesn't have the permission to do that, so not everything that is needed for the app to work can be completed.

Ah yes, this could be it. 1Password must quit completely in order to complete the update successfully. And if the update does not complete successfully, it cannot connect to the browser extensions :+1:

Thanks again for the help.

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.