how do I remove 1Password from a windows laptop

I "invited" my 2nd laptop to 1Password as a family member (to see how it works when I invite my wife). Now I would like to undo that, so how do I remove 1Password from my 2nd laptop? Then after that is done, how do I get 1Password back on my 2nd laptop, this time as a shared device, using the same master password and same private (and shared) vault as my Main laptop?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how do I remove 1Password from a windows laptop

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dolphin826reality! Welcome to the forum!

You can reset the 1Password app on your Windows PC, and then login to your account in in it :+1:

• dolphin826reality
    dolphin826reality
    Community Member

OK i thought i followed these instructions but laptop-2 still comes up asking for the family member password i gave it and is still shows the other email address i used to set up 1Password on laptop-2. Both of my laptops are windows 10 and i use chrome on both. It is possible to have the Family Organizer (me) set up on two different devices - where I use the same Master Password and have access to the same Private Vault right?

What am I doing wrong - how do i wipe out 1Password from laptop-2?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dolphin826reality:

It is possible to have the Family Organizer (me) set up on two different devices - where I use the same Master Password and have access to the same Private Vault right?

Yes, this is possible.

What am I doing wrong - how do i wipe out 1Password from laptop-2?

You need to follow all the instructions in the first article I linked to in order to reset your 1Password app properly. After you do that that, launching the 1Password app should show you the welcome screen:

It should not ask you for previous account information. Did you click on Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and followed the onscreen instructions.

• dolphin826reality
    dolphin826reality
    Community Member

I did all the steps 3 or 4 times. And I get the Welcome screen. And click "Sign in to 1Password.com" and I enter my Family Organizer email, Secret Key, and Master Password. And I get logged into the app - and I can see my vaults. But then I exit the app and open the browser and go to my.1password.com and I see Laptop-2's email and the first part of it's secret key and I can't log in unless I use Laptop-2's Master Password (which of course does not have access to all vaults).

I also tried this: I reset the 1Password App on Laptop-2; clicked on Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data > entered the code > got the Welcome Screen ...but I closed it. Then I opened Chrome and went to my.1password.com ... and what did I see ... Laptop-2's email and Secret Key and I was able to log into Laptop-2's account. For some reason it is not resetting the 1Password Data! That info should be gone!

Do I need to remove the Chrome extension for 1Password first? Do I need to delete the bookmark to my.1password.com? Do I need to un-authorize Laptop-2 from the Family Organizer account?

Would using Windows to uninstall the 1Password App from Laptop-2 work?

I do not want Laptop-2's "family account" (not sure that's the right terminology) or vault to exist anymore. I just want to use the same Master Password on both of my laptops.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@dolphin826reality:

I did all the steps 3 or 4 times. And I get the Welcome screen. And click "Sign in to 1Password.com" and I enter my Family Organizer email, Secret Key, and Master Password. And I get logged into the app - and I can see my vaults.

So the procedure worked in the 1Password for Windows desktop app, as expected. Thank you for the confirmation.

For some reason it is not resetting the 1Password Data! That info should be gone!

No, things are working as expected: you are resetting the 1Password app on your Windows PC. The website that you visit in Chrome is a different thing. If you are then visiting the website, that is separate thing: my.1password.com is a website that was not impacted by the reset procedure in your app.

On the website, please click on the *Sign in to another account** link at the bottom of the page:

If you then want to remove the old account from the list that appears in the browser, please go to this page, click on the Edit List link, and remove the account from there too using the red buttons:

Do I need to remove the Chrome extension for 1Password first?

Typically this is not necessary.

Do I need to delete the bookmark to my.1password.com?

Unless you want to, this is not required: it's just a bookmark.

Do I need to un-authorize Laptop-2 from the Family Organizer account?

If you want, you can certainly do this to cleanup the list.

Would using Windows to uninstall the 1Password App from Laptop-2 work?

No: deleting the desktop app has no connection to the 1Password website.

• dolphin826reality
    dolphin826reality
    Community Member

Thanks for your patience - I have finally resolved this issue.

Stay safe - Stay well

• I'm glad things are all sorted, @dolphin826reality, and on Ana's behalf you are most welcome. :chuffed: You stay safe as well and if we can do anything more to help, you know where to find us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.