Do backups created by Mac 1Password app include everything?

Options
untested_gnue
untested_gnue
Community Member
edited July 2020 in Mac

Hi. I'm using Mac app 1Password 7.5, which holds local vault (on Dropbox) as well as Family vaults through 1Password.com account.

I'm wondering whether the backups created by this app (*.1p4.zip files in ~/Library/Group Containers/(...)/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups) include everything or not.

1. Given the number of items displayed, I'm guessing it includes items from both local vaults and all of 1Password.com vaults. Is that correct?
  2. Does it also include "Documents" items? (which, to my knowledge, was new item type introduced by 1Password.com account.)
  3. Is it safe to assume that restoring from this backup (on, say, another Mac device) will create 1Password app with the completely same data?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @untested_gnue!

Given the number of items displayed, I'm guessing it includes items from both local vaults and all of 1Password.com vaults. Is that correct?

No, local backups only include backups of standalone vaults. Vaults on 1Password.com are backed up automatically by the server, but they are not inside the Backups folder.

Does it also include "Documents" items? (which, to my knowledge, was new item type introduced by 1Password.com account.)

No, Document items, being only available in 1Password.com accounts, are backed up together with 1Password.com vaults, so not locally.

Is it safe to assume that restoring from this backup (on, say, another Mac device) will create 1Password app with the completely same data?

If you restore from a local backup, your 1Password app will restore the contents of the standalone vaults included in the backup. If you also have vaults on 1Password.com, you need to add your 1Password account to the new app to sync that data too.

• untested_gnue
    untested_gnue
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana for prompt reply.

Now, I understand local backups only include items in standalone vaults.

(The number of items in backups I was confused with was for items in Trash in the standalone vault. Since there is no item in standalone vault except for Trash which I overlooked, I assumed the number of items come from items in 1Password.com account.)

Thanks again!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@untested_gnue:

Now, I understand local backups only include items in standalone vaults.

Correct :+1:

And you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.