1Password is unresponsive in Safari after 1Password 7.6 update

Options
Ward
Ward
Community Member

After updating to 1Password 7.6 from the Mac App Store, both the 1Password button in Safari's toolbar and the 1Password mini button in the menu bar became unresponsive. To determine if this was just a Safari problem, I switched to Firefox. When I clicked the 1Password button in the Firefox toolbar, I was prompted to install (reinstall?) the 1Password extension, which I did.

I then discovered the 1Password mini button in the menu bar worked fine when Finder was the frontmost app.

At that point, I opened this forum and looked for a recent report of the Safari problem. The "Browser extensions go missing" topic caught my eye. That discussion led me to try restarting the 1Password mini process. I couldn't do that with Safari active. (It should have occurred to me switch to Finder.)

When quitting and relaunching the 1Password app didn't help, I used Activity Manager to ask the three 1Password processes to Quit. None of the processes went away, and the unresponsive 1Password mini button remained in the menu bar. The 1Password app did quit. Relaunching the 1Password app revived the 1Password buttons in Safari's toolbar and the menu bar. Success!

The next time the Mac App Store offers to update 1Password, I'm going to right-click the 1Password mini button in the menu bar and select "Quit 1Password Completely" before doing the update.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Families Plan

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ward!

The next time the Mac App Store offers to update 1Password, I'm going to right-click the 1Password mini button in the menu bar and select "Quit 1Password Completely" before doing the update.

This should definitely help in case this happens again :+1:

This discussion has been closed.