1Password mini suggestions now include items for the foreground application if they include app://

Options
camner
camner
Community Member

I found this intriguing item in the list of improvements for 1P 7.6, but I was wondering how one implements this...

I tried this with Creative Cloud.

1P won't prompt to create a new login when one is in an app, it seems (and that makes sense).

So, I manually created a new login item for Creative Cloud with my username and password. Then, in the website field, I entered "app://"

I logged out of Creative Cloud, and then at the login screen, I invoked 1P from the Apple menubar, thinking maybe that's the way to get 1P mini to enter login credentials into an app. No luck, alas.

So, how does one use this potentially quite useful new feature?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 1PX 1.20
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner!

For example, for the Terminal app you would use "app://com.apple.Terminal" (without quotes). Every app has an identifier like this: if you add it after the "app://" part, 1Password should show those Logins as suggestions when the app is in the foreground.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification.

How do I figure out the full identifier for an app (in my case, Creative Cloud)?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @camner

With the app in question open:

1. Open 1Password mini
    2. Click the Generate Password button in the upper right
    3. Save the generated password
    4. Look at the website field on the newly created item

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, but that didn't work.

Here's what I did....
    1. Opened Creative Cloud and left it in the foreground.

2. Invoked 1P from the Apple Menu Bar and clicked "Generate Password" and clicked "Save & Copy to Clipboard"

3. Opened the 1P app to see what was saved. Note that the web address is just "adobe.com," not a URL in the form "app://"

Notes:
    (1) This password isn't really in use for anything, so I don't mind revealing it.
    (2) The reason the passwords are different is that when I clicked "Save & Copy" in step 2, 1P mini disappeared so I couldn't take the screenshot. I had to click "Generate Password," then take the screenshot. But, when I did that, 1P mini disappeared so I couldn't click "Save and Continue." So the two passwords come from two different attempts. But the URL comes out as "adobe.com" either way.

Any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

• Ben
    Options

Hey @camner

We do indeed have mappings for some applications so that by having their website in the website field, the app:// URL is not necessary. It appears that may be the case for Creative Cloud. I take it that these items that have adobe.com are not showing up as suggestions in the Creative Cloud app, as it appears they should be?

Could you please also verify that the vault these items are in is included in your All Vaults selection (1Password > Preferences > Vaults > Show in All Vaults) and that in the vault switcher at the top left of 1Password mini you have All Vaults selected?

Thanks.

Ben

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

Yes, I can verify that the vault these items are in is included in my All Vaults selection, and yes, the vault switcher of 1P mini has All Vaults selected.

Yes the items are showing up as suggestions, but nothing fills into Creative Cloud. If I click on the item and click Go, it opens up adobe.com in my default browser. If I double click on the item, same thing.

What is supposed to prompt 1P mini to actually enter the username/password combination into an app running in the foreground? Or am I misunderstanding how this works and I'm supposed to manually copy a paste the username/password into the app?

• HillbillyInBC
    HillbillyInBC
    Community Member
    Options

Does this explain why 1Password mini no longer shows my favourites when I invoke it to fill login credentials within Banktivity's embedded browser, but instead shows an empty list of suggestions? If so, this strikes me as a significant regression in functionality (unless I'm missing something).

• HillbillyInBC
    HillbillyInBC
    Community Member
    Options

Update: So I did the "Create a bogus password with Banktivity open and grab the associated 'app://' URL, then paste that URL into each of the favourites I want to see in Banktivity" dance, and that has restored a reasonable equivalent of the previous functionality (or, more precisely, it will do so once I retrain the finger macros I've used for the past several years to navigate via keyboard the way it used to work).

• :+1: :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this issue I'm having with Creative Cloud?

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Is there another way to get the app's identifier other than generating a dummy password?

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

You asked me some questions a few days ago about my situation, and I responded to those questions, but I haven't heard back from you, so I'm giving you a bit of a nudge.

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dserodio:

Thanks! Is there another way to get the app's identifier other than generating a dummy password?

I don't believe there is another way at the moment, at least not within 1Password directly. I googled this a bit for you and I found some ways to do it from the Terminal however.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner:

Ben is off until Monday, so I can reach out to someone else in the team to see if they have any ideas :+1:

• Hey @camner

Ana asked if anyone would be able to help out.

That said, I am just starting to learn this feature. Unfortunately, I am also unable to fill details for Creative Cloud. I would ask for your indulgence till Monday when Ben returns. He may know something that I do not.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Not a problem at all (for me to wait). Since someone else was also participating in the thread I thought it might be possible that the team had lost track of my earlier response farther up in the thread.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We try to keep track of every post @camner, but we appreciate the followup :+1:

• Ben
    Options

Hi @camner,

My apologies. I think this is a case of improper set expectations. 1Password for Mac can only fill items into web browsers with the browser extension installed. It cannot currently fill in 3rd party apps. It can suggest the appropriate login, so the details can be copy & pasted / dragged & dropped, but it cannot fill said login. There were some announcements at Apple's WWDC event last month that may make it possible for us to do more, but at the moment there is no system-wide API for filling data into apps without some sort of extension framework (like the popular web browsers have).

Ben

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Thanks for your reply, but I think we’re not understanding each other. If by “1Password for Mac” you mean the MacOS 1P app that lives in the Applications folder, that is NOT what I am referring to in this thread.

I was trying to use what I understand to be “1Password Mini,” which I understand to be what lives in the Apple menu.

If that’s not what is being referred to by the phrase “ 1Password mini suggestions now include items for the foreground application if they include app://” could you please explain what this new feature actually entails?

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

@camner:

I was trying to use what I understand to be “1Password Mini,” which I understand to be what lives in the Apple menu.

1Password mini is effectively an extension of the 1Password desktop app, but it's directly connected to it, so they have the same powers: 1Password mini cannot do anything that 1Password for Mac cannot do. 1Password mini, being an extension of 1Password for Mac, also cannot fill item details inside apps.

If that’s not what is being referred to by the phrase “ 1Password mini suggestions now include items for the foreground application if they include app://” could you please explain what this new feature actually entails?

When you have an app open on your Mac, and you click on 1Password mini, it can now suggest the correct login for that specific app (if you have entered a url in the form app:// ), so you can drag and drop your credentials there. But as Ben said, 1Password for Mac and 1Password mini cannot fill credentials inside desktop apps like the browser extension can do on websites, it can only suggest them.

• Ben
    Options

To summarize:

Yes the items are showing up as suggestions, but nothing fills into Creative Cloud. If I click on the item and click Go, it opens up adobe.com in my default browser. If I double click on the item, same thing.

Correct. This is what is expected.

What is supposed to prompt 1P mini to actually enter the username/password combination into an app running in the foreground?

It cannot.

Or am I misunderstanding how this works and I'm supposed to manually copy a paste the username/password into the app?

Exactly this.

:)

Ben

• kanin
    kanin
    Community Member
    Options

Great feature, but it was quite difficult to figure out how to add my password item as suggestion to the app. I would love if there was a way to add the foreground app/website to an existing item by simply clicking a button on the password item.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @kanin!

Ben

• eodabas
    eodabas
    Community Member
    Options

a simple command may help to get the app identifier like:

# mdls -name kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier -r /Applications/iTerm.app
    com.googlecode.iterm2

having said that, thanks for bringing this feature 1password team. better late than never.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @eodabas! And thank you for sharing this tip :+1:

This discussion has been closed.