First impressions during trial

Options
_Matt_
_Matt_
Community Member

Just wanted to provide a little feedback here. I use Bitwarden at the moment and I'm interested in evaluating 1password local vaults. So I created a local vault on my MBA 2020 i5. I tried to import the Bitwarden .csv and it didn't work as expected. It didn't give me the option to map CSV columns to 1password attributes so I got names instead of folders and other mapping issues.

I see that in order to get this to work I have to either edit the CSV file with a text editor or spreadsheet software or trust a third party tool that was developed by one of your community members and isn't a 1password employee. The software is also hosted in Dropbox and the checksum is hosted in the same place which rather defeats the object. Why don't you allow mapping during CSV import?

So I gave up on the idea of importing from Bitwarden but instead started to evaluate simply creating local entries from scratch. I've noticed the BMA fan really start spinning up and this is what is showing in the activity monitor -

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi Matt! Welcome to the forum!

Why don't you allow mapping during CSV import?

We have specific importers specifically built for several other password managers. For all of the others, we have to rely on CSV, but if you use the web importer, you have the option to customize the import:

Move your data into your account on 1Password.com

See specifically the section Organize your information, which shows you how to map entries in your file to 1Password labels.

We can certainly continue working on the import to make it work seamlessly with more and more exported data though, so thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us!

I've noticed the BMA fan really start spinning up and this is what is showing in the activity monitor -

I do not see this on my MacBook:

I noticed that you wrote that you are using 1Password version 7.7 though, can you please double check that? The latest stable version if 1Password 7.6. I wonder also if you see the same thing right after a reboot, or if this started happening to you after 12 hours of 1Password running.

• _Matt_
    _Matt_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana,

Thanks for responding so quickly, that's much appreciated.

I am particuarly interested in using a local vault and not having my passwords in the cloud, so I suppose the web importer isn't an option. But it sounds like it offers the functionality I need - perhaps the development team might consider adopting the functionality into the desktop client.

I'm sorry I provided the wrong version - you're right, I'm on 7.6. It did occur to me that I had two failed imports (600+ items) into a new vault. These were all moved to the trash very quickly. Could it be that one of the watch tower scans is running against those 600 items and that takes some time and consumes lots of CPU? Even though they're in the trash? Just a theory and a question for the development team I suppose.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry I provided the wrong version - you're right, I'm on 7.6.

No worries, thank you for the confirmation!

It did occur to me that I had two failed imports (600+ items) into a new vault. These were all moved to the trash very quickly. Could it be that one of the watch tower scans is running against those 600 items and that takes some time and consumes lots of CPU? Even though they're in the trash?

I haven't heard of this before, and I could not find an internal issue mentioning this, so it might be unrelated. I am curious though: other than rebooting, do you see the same behavior if you quit 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password?

• _Matt_
    _Matt_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana,

The CPU has settled now. I put my BMA to sleep earlier and have come back to this - 1password CPU is now <10% when in the foreground. Anyway I will continue to evaluate the software but for me, lack of CSV mapping in the local client with a local vault is a bit of a show stopper.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thank you for the update! Absolutely, please let us know if you notice this CPU behavior again and we can certainly take a closer look :+1:

Anyway I will continue to evaluate the software but for me, lack of CSV mapping in the local client with a local vault is a bit of a show stopper.

I understand, I appreciate your feedback on this. I still hope this might not be a huge hurdle since you would only have to do this procedure once. You can also (as you correctly mentioned) edit the CSV file before you import it rather than during import. One day we might have a specific importer for additional password managers like we have for several ones already, but at the moment it's not available I am afraid (other than using the converter tool). I understand if none of these two options are something acceptable for you at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.