New User, somewhat confused

Options
junman
junman
Community Member

Hi

I've recently signed up to 1Password - is it actually suggested to use a public forum as a customer support tool?

I can't get 1Password to save passwords via Safari, having installed and set up 1Password and the browser extension, plus followed all the suggestions on the help page.

Do we actually come here for customer support?

Best regards

Tom

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @junman! Welcome to the forum!

Do we actually come here for customer support?

If you want to, sure :) This is one of the support methods we offer. You can also use Twitter if you prefer, or our contact form, or our email address support@1password.com, whatever you prefer.

I can't get 1Password to save passwords via Safari,

Can you please elaborate? What happens exactly when you try to save a password? Does the Save button not work?

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm more used to having a live chat or a phone number to call, to get active support.

I resolved the first issue by turning off the password filler in Safari. That's not a great solution because I now have to manually copy all of the passwords I have in safari (auto-generated, so not memorable) into 1Password, or use 1Password to change them. It would have been easier if, once the Safari password was added to the password field automatically, I would then be offered the chance to save that in 1Password (this just wasn't coming up, despite your user guides insisting it would happen). As it is, I'm going to need to update every password I've ever used. I suppose there's a security benefit.

The latest issues I have are:

On an iOS device, having to insert my Master Password every time I want 1Password to do anything. This includes logging into apps where I have already linked it with 1Password. It defeats the object of 1Password if I have to enter the Master Password every time I want to access my banking app, for example. (I've change the settings already to have it logged in for up to an hour, and not exit when I'm not using the app).

Secondly, 1Password autofills passwords to the wrong fields. So trying to log onto one service, when I attempt to use 1Password to enter the password, it puts it into a different field, and I can't paste anything into the correct password field (pasting is blocked). Having to manually type a 24 character password with letters, numbers and symbols is impractical.

Is anyone able to help with these issues? And there is no 'live' customer support available at all?

Best regards

Tom

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@junman:

I resolved the first issue by turning off the password filler in Safari.

Indeed, built in password managers can interfere with 1Password, so we always recommend disabling them to allow 1Password to do its job properly:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

That's not a great solution because I now have to manually copy all of the passwords I have in safari (auto-generated, so not memorable) into 1Password, or use 1Password to change them.

You could also use the Converter Suite to import data from Keychain, so you don't have to do this manually.

On an iOS device, having to insert my Master Password every time I want 1Password to do anything. This includes logging into apps where I have already linked it with 1Password. It defeats the object of 1Password if I have to enter the Master Password every time I want to access my banking app, for example. (I've change the settings already to have it logged in for up to an hour, and not exit when I'm not using the app).

Have you enabled Touch ID or Face ID inside 1Password already? If you did, 1Password should only prompt you to enter your Master Password the first time.

Secondly, 1Password autofills passwords to the wrong fields. So trying to log onto one service, when I attempt to use 1Password to enter the password, it puts it into a different field, and I can't paste anything into the correct password field (pasting is blocked). Having to manually type a 24 character password with letters, numbers and symbols is impractical.

Even when this happens, you don't need to manually type the password. You can always copy and paste from 1Password. Granted, it's better when the website works well and 1Password can fill everything automatically, but even when this does not happen for some reason, copy and paste is a much better alternative :)

Having said this, what websites are you having issues with? If you can share the full URLs with us, we can certainly test them here too and see if we can reproduce this behavior.

Is anyone able to help with these issues? And there is no 'live' customer support available at all?

We don't have live support I am afraid, but we try to reply as soon as possible to every question :)

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - thanks for the further responses. I don't use TouchID or FaceID. The website was www.bbr.com - the password gets pasted on the left hand side, where is asking for a password if you are creating a new account.

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I'm not aware of having submitted a diagnostics report. It seemed a bit much for someone in their first 30 minutes of using a new piece of software :-)

Was the message intended for someone else?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@junman:

Sorry for the previous notification, I originally replied to the wrong discussion ;)

I don't use TouchID or FaceID.

If you don't use either Touch ID or Face ID, then it's expected that 1Password will only ask you for your Master Password. Are you expecting a different behavior?

The website was www.bbr.com - the password gets pasted on the left hand side, where is asking for a password if you are creating a new account.

I can test this for you. Can you confirm what version of the 1Password app and of the 1Password browser extension you are running, so I can perform the test with your same configuration? Thank you!

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

Am I expecting a different behaviour? Of course, otherwise what is the point of 1Password? If I have to enter my Master Password every time I open an app, I might as well just use that password for the app. Am I missing something obvious here?

I am not sure what versions I am using - they are whatever was available for download from your website and the app store last night, when I signed up.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@junman:

Am I expecting a different behaviour? Of course, otherwise what is the point of 1Password? If I have to enter my Master Password every time I open an app, I might as well just use that password for the app. Am I missing something obvious here?

The point of 1Password is to keep your passwords safe. It does this using encryption, and encryption works with your Master Password. The benefit of this is that you only have to remember one password, instead of every password for everyone of your account.

Having said this, you can configure the auto-lock settings in your 1Password app, which sounds like what you are looking for. If you open 1Password on your iOS device and go to Settings > Security, do you perhaps have the app configured to Lock on Exit at the moment? It certainly sounds like it from what you are describing.

I am not sure what versions I am using - they are whatever was available for download from your website and the app store last night, when I signed up.

Please let us know the exact version, especially of the browser extension, so we can replicate what you are reporting. This article will shows you how to see the extension version for every browser.

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I had already turned 'Lock on Exit' off, and set the Auto-Lock to one hour. That doesn't appear to be the issue.

With the greatest of respect to 1Password, having something memorised in my head is safer than storing it with you guys. My brain cannot be hacked :-) (so far as I am aware!)

So for my Master Password I have created a password which I consider to be reasonably secure (21 characters of various types), which I have memorised. However, if I am required to use this every time I want to autofill a password, then one may as well adopt the approach you suggest for the secure key and master password, which is to write it down and store it in a secure location. The autofill tool must surely be a critical reason for using 1Password? If I have to type something in every time, then why not adopt your recommended approach for storing the Secure Key and Master Password with all my passwords? It is equally inconvenient, but more secure. NB this is not an issue on Chrome, Safari, Windows PC or Mac OS. I am not required to enter my Master Password every time I want to use the 'autofill' tool.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

@junman:

With the greatest of respect to 1Password, having something memorised in my head is safer than storing it with you guys. My brain cannot be hacked :-) (so far as I am aware!)

Indeed, you don't store your Master Password inside 1Password. That one only lives inside your head, as you say. All of the other passwords, however, are stored safely and encrypted in the app so you don't have to remember hundreds of them ;)

For confirmation, because I think I start to suspect why this might be happening to you: is 1Password asking for your Master Password every time inside the Autofill extension? In other words, if you open the main 1Password app, does it open without asking for your Master Password from the second time onwards (at least until the end of the time you configured in the auto-lock settings), as expected?

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

When I need to enter a password in iOS, a grey box appears above my keyboard that has 'Passwords' written in it. When I select that, I am prompted to enter my 1password Master Password. It then takes me to the app, where I can confirm the password I wish to use. It's the requirement to use the Master Password every time which is causing the frustration. This requirement is not resolved by the 'Lock on Exit' or Autolock changes described above.

For example, I want to log in to a website which I have set up within 1Password. When completing the credentials in Safari on my iPhone, I follow the process above, and can log in. I then immediately switch to another app on my phone, also set up on 1Password. When I am prompted to enter my password, I click on the grey box with 'Passwords' written on it, and am asked to enter the Master Password. So this is when trying to use it twice in 30 seconds, in two different apps on my iPhone. Does that make sense?

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add, the version of the App I am using is 7.6 (this was asked above)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the additional details @junman. There are two things you can do to help alleviate that.

1. In 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security turn on the setting "always show lock screen for Password AutoFill." (if not already on)
    2. Turn on some form of Quick Unlock - either Face ID or Touch ID. This is required as it enables us to keep 1Password in an unlocked state in the background. Without it, we have no choice but to ask for the Master Password each time 1Password locks. The "Lock on Exit" setting is ignored unless Quick Unlock is enabled (I have an issue filed with development to make that point more clear in the UI).

We have guides for Touch ID and Face ID, respectively, here:

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#2489

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben - thanks, I had a feeling this was where it was headed; i.e. you need Face ID or Touch ID to get it to work properly. For a number of reasons, I prefer not to use Face ID, but from doing further reading, I think it is possible to set up Face ID but not use it to unlock my phone (for example), but still use it for other functionality. So I think at this point, I need to take some time to figure out the best way / if 1password is going to work in the way that I need it.

• Ben
    Options

@junman

Using Face ID to unlock the device is a prerequisite for unlocking 1Password with it.

For a number of reasons, I prefer not to use Face ID

Are those concerns that we might be able to help address? I'm afraid without that it is going to be more difficult to get the best experience with 1Password.

Ben

• junman
    junman
    Community Member
    Options

No I don't think so - but helpful to have clarified that it's the unlock feature that's needed. These are concerns that Apple themselves have identified and attempted to address - for example unauthorised access in the case of robbery for example - so I need to decide if I want to set it up. Thanks for the support!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@junman:

I see, thank you for the information. Let us know if there is anything we can do on the 1Password side of things, and as usual we will be happy to help :+1:

This discussion has been closed.