Autofill / Go buttons disappear after Pin on Screen

FragileBits
FragileBits
Community Member

When viewing a Login within Mini and the Safari extension:

• If I am already on the associated website, the Autofill button is shown.
  • If I am not yet on the associated website, the Go button is shown.

If I then Pin on Screen (because, for example, I know that, after entering the username and password, I will next need to show a memorable word in large type in order to identify character numbers x, y and z), then the Go or Autofill buttons disappear.

This feels annoying and counter-intuitive - and it has certainly confused some of my family members, for whom I provide 1Password memberships (and, all too often, related tech support!).

Could these buttons be retained when a Login is pinned?

Or at least the Go button (if, for example, a pinned item no longer knows which Safari window is currently active).

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I don't believe this is a scenario that we had thought about (pinning an item and then also filling it). Typically you do one or the other.

Do you mind elaborating a bit? For example, you wrote:

because, for example, I know that, after entering the username and password, I will next need to show a memorable word in large type in order to identify character numbers x, y and z), then the Go or Autofill buttons disappear.

So at this point, as you said, you have already filled your username and password, and you are entering another field manually. Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't believe there is anything left to fill at this point?

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

Hi

I'm afraid you have misunderstood, so more than happy to elaborate. Let me walk through an example.

I want to open - say - a bank or credit card account management website, so I go to the Safari extension and select the Login, making it the active item.

At this point, the details for that Login are shown with either a blue Go button (if I'm not yet on that website) or a blue Autofill button (if I was already on the website, having navigated there myself in Safari).

If I were then to click on either the Go or Autofill button, then those Login details immediately disappear and would need to be summoned again in order to see them.

This is unhelpful and inconvenient, as I know that - after filling the username and password - I'll still need additional information from that Login. For example, I might next need to enter characters from a memorable word, characters from a PIN, or even - in some cases - both. And I won't know specifically what I need (ie which characters) until the next screen is displayed during the login process.

This kind of scenario applies to an increasing number of websites, as they "up their game" with added security measures.

So, instead, I choose to Pin on Screen BEFORE either clicking on Go or on Autofill. The Login details can now stay on my screen until I have secured all of the info that I need from them.

However, as soon as the Login is pinned, the Go or Autofill button disappears. This feels counterintuitive and somewhat annoying, as that's exactly what I need to do next. I know (others may not) that I now need to click on the website URL instead (to action "Open and fill"). This is not signposted as an available action until you mouseover it (the URL field just says "website"), so is not obvious to less experienced users, including newbies to 1Password.

It would be great if you could please keep those Go and Autofill buttons shown within pinned Logins, for both a more consistent and more user-friendly (and, for some, less confusing) experience.

Hope that makes sense?

Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

I see, thank you for the clarification, that was helpful :+1: At the moment I think that the best option is to use the 1Password extension to fill your information on the website, and then pin the item to the screen for any additional information you might need (which is what I also personally do in those cases where websites behave like this).

This kind of scenario applies to an increasing number of websites, as they "up their game" with added security measures.

This is quite typical for banking websites. We wrote an open letter about this some time ago, which you might enjoy reading :)

An open letter to banks

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

Thank you, but I fear you may still misunderstand.

"At the moment I think that the best option is to use the 1Password extension to fill your information on the website, and then pin the item to the screen for any additional information you might need"

As I said above, if I use the extension, then the moment I click on Go or Autofill from within it, the extension closes / disappears.

I would then need to re-open the extension and, if the item isn't in my favourites, search for it again in order to be able to pin it. (To clarify, within Preferences, I have Mini set to open 1Password to Favourites - because I don't find Suggestions works well for me).

This would be a far less efficient workflow than pinning the item first and then doing everything from there.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

As I said above, if I use the extension, then the moment I click on Go or Autofill from within it, the extension closes / disappears.

Correct.

I would then need to re-open the extension and, if the item isn't in my favourites, search for it again in order to be able to pin it. (To clarify, within Preferences, I have Mini set to open 1Password to Favourites - because I don't find Suggestions works well for me).

That's correct, that is indeed was I was suggesting, with how things are working now :+1: At the moment this is the quickest way with what is available, although I understand it's not ideal for your scenario.

The only difference is that you should not need to search for your item again. If you are still on the website, opening the extension again should show you the correct login already (this is what is happening on my machine).

If this is not happening to you, make sure that the dropdown menu in the extension is set to Suggestions. From what you are writing, it sounds like you might have it set to "All Items" instead:

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate that you are trying to help, but, in respect of this suggestion:

If you are still on the website, opening the extension again should show you the correct login already (this is what is happening on my machine). If this is not happening to you, make sure that the dropdown menu in the extension is set to Suggestions. From what you are writing, it sounds like you might have it set to "All Items" instead:

As I hoped to explain above, I'm afraid I (along with other family members) don't find setting the extension to show Suggestions works at all well for me in respect of my other daily usage:

if the item isn't in my favourites, search for it again in order to be able to pin it. (To clarify, within Preferences, I have Mini set to open 1Password to Favourites - because I don't find Suggestions works well for me).

I instead use Favourites, which is the only workable option for me.

Perhaps you might kindly escalate my feature request to the development team for consideration?

Many thanks in anticipation.

• Could these buttons be retained when a Login is pinned?

I can certainly put in a request with development that they consider doing so. :)

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#253

• FragileBits
    FragileBits
    Community Member

Thank you, Ben :)

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.