1Password 7 problem: Could not migrate 1Password data

sylath
sylath
Community Member

I am trying to upgrade from 1Password 6.8.9 (standalone) to 1Password 7 (standalone). After I installed and started 1Password7 I get an error message:

"Could not migrate 1Password data.
1Password was unable to move your data from a previous version of 1Password.
This does not necessarily indicate your data is missing or damaged. Please contact technical support for assistance"

When showing this message 1Password7 only offers the option to quit.

Indeed, when I revert to 1Password 6.8.9 all data appears to be there. 1Password 6.8.9 appears to work as normal.

What could cause this issue?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sylath!

Can you share with us the steps that you are following to make this happen? In other words, what steps are you following to migrate your data?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sylath:

So it appears the problem has been solved. I suspect that a remnant from the old 1Password 7 installation interfered with 1Password 7.5 and prevented 1Password 7.5 from starting up normally.

From what you wrote, I think this might have been the reason, yes.

I am still somewhat puzzled by the read-only behavior and that it resolved itself before I had a chance to enter the license file information.

If I am not mistaken, if you license 1Password 7 on a Mac, 1Password will get the license information from iCloud automatically when you reinstall the app, or install it on another computer which uses the same Apple ID. This would explain why the app was able to apply the license automatically: perhaps it only needed a bit more time to get the information and apply it to the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sylath:

I am glad that things are working as expected now :)

This discussion has been closed.