Editing a new password deletes the entire string

khoi
khoi
Community Member

When creating a new password in 1Password on iPhone or iPad…

• Tap "Generate New Password"
  • Tap in the password field, where the blinking cursor is active, to edit the password string
  • Any editing deletes the entire password including: deleting the last character; typing a new character to add to the string; moving the cursor mid-string and then deleting or typing a character

This doesn't feel like expected behavior because this means that I cannot edit the generated password at all during the initial creation of a login. The only workaround I've found to edit the generated password is to first save the new login and then edit it from there. Is this a bug? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.5.1
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @khoi!

I have just tested this in my 1Password for iOS app, and when I tapped on the password field, the cursor appeared there, and I was able to edit the password even before saving it. It did not delete the existing password.

Can you please share the step by step instructions on how you are reaching the "Generate New Password" button, from the moment you unlock 1Password? It's possible that I followed a slightly different process from you, so I would be happy to test this again.

• khoi
    khoi
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana here are the steps I take. In 1Password on my iPhone…

• Tap Categories
    • Tap the "+" icon at top right
    • Tap "Login"
    • Enter the name of the login, tap next arrow
    • Enter email address
    • The "Enter or create your password" interface is presented
    • Tap "Generate New Password"
    • I prefer long, multi-word passwords, so I then tap on "Show Password Recipe"
    • Swipe to "Words" recipe interface
    • Tap "Regenerate Password" to replace the characters-based one previously created
    • Tap to the password entry field itself to edit it
    • Any editing of the password automatically deletes the entire password

I recorded this video to show you the behavior but the characters of the password are obscured by the OS's recording mechanism so it's a little hard to see exactly what's happening.

https://share.getcloudapp.com/xQuDXm0Q

Hope that helps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@khoi:

Thank you for the step by step instructions and for the video, they were very useful! I see now that you were indeed following a different process, and I can tell you that 1Password behaves the same way for me if I go through these steps of creating a new Login item. In my test, I tried creating a new Password item instead, and if you try that you should see that in that case you are allowed to edit it manually.

I will open an internal report so our developers can look at this. I am not sure what the expected behavior here is, but I think it makes sense that editing a password field would behave the same way for Login and 1Password items.

Thank you for the report!

ref: dev/apple/issues#4895

• khoi
    khoi
    Community Member

Great thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.