why does the browser app keeps locking?

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is staying as safe and well.

1Password browser app - 2 questions/issues:

1. The browser extension used to unlock when I unlocked the main 1Password windows app - it doesn't seem to do this any more?
  2. When I do unlock the browser extension If I close the browser and then open it again (immediately) the extension is locked again? In fact the extension seems to have a mind of its own!

I have tried reading some pages on the support forum and tried looking through the menu options of 1Password for windows but alas I could not find any information about this (and actually I have a very short attention span :blush: ) - The only thing i found was some information regarding logging in online into my 1 Password account and choosing the maximum amount of time 1 Password would stay unlocked which I set it to the maximum 300 minutes but this didn't seem to do anything.

I tried the obvious steps of uninstalling the browser extension and re-installing but no luck with that.

does anybody have any ideas?

1Password Version: 7.6.778
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: windows 10 Pro 1909 OS build 18363.959
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:browser app keeps locking

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @EAPTCB!

1. The browser extension used to unlock when I unlocked the main 1Password windows app - it doesn't seem to do this any more?
    2. When I do unlock the browser extension If I close the browser and then open it again (immediately) the extension is locked again? In fact the extension seems to have a mind of its own!

This is because you installed 1Password X, which is our latest extension that lives entirely in the browser and does not communicate with the desktop app ;)

If you want the behavior you are describing, you should install the companion browser extension (desktop app required) instead.

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member

Oh I see.

Thanks for letting me know. It’s been sometime since I’ve sat down in front of my PC - everything is so easy nowadays on a smartphone and tablet that my PC has become somewhat redundant!

Btw, is there an article you can point me to which describes the differences/benefits between the two browser extensions?

Thanks in advance.

• We don't have anything like that, @EAPTCB, I think largely because it's so subjective we're a bit reluctant to make any recommendations. Heck, my opinion on the topic changes all the time, I'm not even sure I could tell you which I think is better. I like 1Password X's keyboard navigation better and I really appreciate having the item details visible on my PC which has a ton of screen real estate. My Mac, on the other hand has a 13" screen and makes me quickly pivot to hating 1Password X because the pop-up is so big. I find these tend to be the highlights that sway folks:

1. 1Password X has the inline menu. It's nifty. The companion extension does not.
    2. The companion extension shares a lock timer with your desktop app. 1Password X does not.
    3. The companion extension can unlock with Windows Hello. 1Password X cannot.
    4. 1Password X can be used entirely without the desktop app if you'd like. The companion extension cannot.
    5. General UI preference, including things like seeing item details in 1Password X vs not in the companion extension, but also the look you very subjectively prefer.

I usually advise to give both a try. Truly not to be a jerk, but because the user experience is different enough that you'll probably decide what you prefer pretty quickly. In the past, I'd probably have decided I'd prefer the companion extension based on the shared unlock timer alone, but when I was helping test 1Password X when we first released it and learned I can keep its lock timer long so it stays open pretty much as long as my browser does, a lot of the new features like the inline menu changed my mind. I now use 1Password X outside of work and would likely cite it as my preference. I'd never know I liked it better had I not given it a try.

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member

Wow @bundtkate thanks for the insights and your comprehensive explanation. Ironically, you may have just created the article I was looking for!

In an ideal world it would be great if 1Password X could do all it does AND unlock with the main app — but hey there’s a cake and eat it quote there somewhere :lol:

Although I appreciate all that ‘x’ has to offer, my impatient side leans more to the companion app,

Thanks again

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@bundtkate, I've never used X and never thought to use it until I read your remarks on this thread. Can I have both X and the companion extension on my PC at the same time and decide which to use as the mood takes me so that I can try them both or are they incompatible and to try X I need to uninstall my companion extension?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42: 1Password X and 1Password companion extension are two different extensions, so you can install them both, give a try, and decide which one works for you. :)

If you have any questions about it, let us know. We are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Great! Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42: :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.