Beta or stable for daily use?

HenryY
HenryY
Community Member
Question to Agilebits,

Which version should we be using day to day? The beta or the final?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    As a beta tester it would be great if you used the beta day to day and reported issues. Otherwise, just use the stable and don't worry about beta testing if you prefer to be done with that. :)

We certainly do appreciate any beta testing you do (and have done)!
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    Okay, right now I have the beta on my home screen (next to Evernote). The stable is in my "Utilities" folder on screen 2.
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

We certainly do appreciate any beta testing you do (and have done)!

Thanks, don't forget to sign me up for the Mac and Android 4.0 betas too! =)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Cheers! :D
  • I try to have a good mixture of both apps. They are next to each other on the home screen and sync over Dropbox. Every time I only need a password, I just the stable release but to create new items etc. I try to use the beta to find possible bugs in the process.
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    I bought the stable but deleted it from my device as soon as the 4.1 betas started to appear.

I like to live on the edge :)
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    I bought the stable but I keep it in my Utilities folder on page 2 (I have a pretty default layout), just in case the latest beta is not working. Not being able to access my passwords is not really a good option. I deleted 1Password 3.7.2 from my iPhone, however. I also just realized that it's no longer possible to re-download 1Password 3 from your Purchased Apps in iTunes, so I guess I will have to save my .ipa file.
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    I kept 1Password 3.x around for a few days after starting on the 1Password 4 beta, but having had absolutely zero problems during that time, I've become more comfortable running just the beta version.

I figure in a pinch I can always re-downloaded the 1Password 4 stable release from the App Store :)
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member

I figure in a pinch I can always re-downloaded the 1Password 4 stable release from the App Store :)

Assuming you have internet access.
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    edited December 2012
    Fair enough. As I said, I like to live on the edge :)

(TBH, however, I'm personally unlikely to be in a situation where I absolutely need a password and don't have Internet access)
  • Hi,

We recommend to keep both. It rarely happens but in some cases, you might get a beta that's so unstable, it'd crash upon opening. So you wouldn't be able to access your data unless you have it on the computer or download 1Password 4 from the App Store.

Henry Yeh wrote:

I also just realized that it's no longer possible to re-download 1Password 3 from your Purchased Apps in iTunes, so I guess I will have to save my .ipa file.

It should absolutely be possible, we tested this many times and it is still in our Purchases section in iTunes. Please make sure you scroll to locate it, do not use the search field as that'll search the App Store, not the Purchases.

Please let us know if you could find it there.

Thanks.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It should absolutely be possible, we tested this many times and it is still in our Purchases section in iTunes. Please make sure you scroll to locate it, do not use the search field as that'll search the App Store, not the Purchases.

As Mike mentioned, it won't show up in any search. But if you sort your past purchases alphabetically that will make it easier to locate. It will be listed under "P" since the leading "1" is ignored in the past purchases list.
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

It will be listed under "P" since the leading "1" is ignored in the past purchases list.

I believe this was the problem. Thanks, though I don't see myself going back to 1Password 3 for iOS, I can worry less if I ever delete the .ipa file.
This discussion has been closed.