Automatic Lock in 1Password X

Hello,

Long time Lastpass user testing 1Password to see if I would like to switch. I'm using Win 10 with the Brave Browser. So far I really like the program and seriously considering moving over...except it appears that there is no way to leave the 1Password X browser plugin permanently unlocked. The only option I could find was by logging into my profile on 1Password.com and maxing out the auto lock to 300 mins.

I just want to confirm that there is no way in 1Password X to permanently prevent the vault from auto locking.

The challenge I have is that having to enter my 25 character password multiple times, e.g, after closing my browser, etc. is extremely annoying. Also, my family including teenagers uses Lastpass (which does not have this issue) and there is NO WAY they would accept having to reenter their long passwords constantly in 1Password X. I get why the feature is there. However, I think there needs to be a better balance between convenience and security.

So, please let me know if there's any way around this feature.

1Password Version: 1.20.0
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @Odin23! Welcome to the forum!

So far I really like the program and seriously considering moving over.

Thank you for the kind words!

I just want to confirm that there is no way in 1Password X to permanently prevent the vault from auto locking.

That is correct: you can extend the automatic unlock time, but for security reasons we do not allow 1Password to be unlocked indefinitely.

So, please let me know if there's any way around this feature.

On Mac, you can enable desktop app integration in 1Password X beta, so you can unlock the extension with Touch ID. If we manage to port the feature over to the Windows app too, that would be an easier way to unlock 1Password X.

Alternatively, instead of using 1Password X, you could use the 1Password for Windows desktop app together with the companion browser extension, and configure it so it unlocks with Windows Hello ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file