Autosave exceptions with the new inline menu

bwadm
bwadm
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi Agile team,
I like the new "inline menu", but I think that this menu should not show up when the page/URL/domain that is loaded is listed in the list of "autosave exeptions".
Best regards, Bernd

1Password Version: 7.7.BETA-1
Extension Version: 7.7.BETA-1
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bwadm!

By "autosave exceptions", you mean the setting under 1Password Preferences > Browsers tab > Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them, correct?

If that is indeed the one you are referring to, that does not prevent filling: that settings controls whether 1Password will prompt you to save your credentials on that website, but it does not control filling itself. This behavior was the same before the latest beta: you could still fill your credentials on those websites, 1Password would simply not popup to prompt you to save or update them.

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Yes, this is correct.
    If one uses this setting like I do, that is to avoid autosave of username/PWD that I want to keep only in my own brain and not (also/only) in 1P, then the offer to fill something that is not in 1P is useless.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bwadm:

That setting already does what you are looking for: it prevents you from saving items in 1Password. There has never been a setting to prevent something to fill on a website (other than, as you say, not entering the login in 1Password in the first place).

If one uses this setting like I do, that is to avoid autosave of username/PWD that I want to keep only in my own brain and not (also/only) in 1P, then the offer to fill something that is not in 1P is useless.

I am not sure I follow here: what is 1Password showing you to fill, if it's not in 1Password?

• @bwadm,

Just to correct the answer here, there is no autosave functionality present in the Safari inline menu, and there will be a separate setting to disable the inline menu similarly to how the autosave exclusion list worked.

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member

Hi rudy, thanks - this is the point!
    I am looking very much forward to that separate setting!
    Thanks for 1P, and regards to those who are on board for a long time! I recall the time when features and bugs were discussed with Roustem and David T. ...

• I was actually just talking with Dave this morning about some exciting new things we have coming. :) Thanks for the feedback on this. Hopefully the changes Rudy mentioned will improve the experience here.

Ben

• svb
    svb
    Community Member

I, too, am looking for a way to prevent the inline 1Password popup from appearing on specific domains. When I'm manually testing my authenticated web app, which is hosted on my local machine (either localhost or 192.168.1.11), I don't want suggestions, and I don't want to be prompted to save the entered information. It appears that I can stop it from saving the entered information, but I can't seem to stop it from making suggestions.

I just want 1Password to completely ignore these domains in the browser - for everything. How?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@svb:

but I can't seem to stop it from making suggestions.

I just want 1Password to completely ignore these domains in the browser - for everything. How?

You can expand the inline menu and click on the Hide on this page button:

• svb
    svb
    Community Member

Thanks for the recommendation. That "Hide on this page" button doesn't appear to be sticky. The next time I come in to do testing the suggestions are back. (I'm not running incognito mode or anything special like that) One thing I can say, though, is that the popup is being served from a separate domain (Auth0, our authentication provider) - could that be influencing the outcome?

This video demonstrates what happens when I sign up to our site, then logout, and go to signup again - the suggestion popup is BACK.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yw0l69b9v3ka09/20210630-1Password-suggestionsFeature.mp4?dl=0

Cheers, S t u a r t .

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@svb:

It is true that hidden pages are reset, but only when you quit and relaunch Safari as far as I know. In the same browser session, you should see that they remain hidden.

One thing I can say, though, is that the popup is being served from a separate domain (Auth0, our authentication provider) - could that be influencing the outcome?

It's possible that this might have something to do with this. Is there any way we could test this website, or is it just a private one?

• svb
    svb
    Community Member

I'm not running these tests in Safari, I'm running them in Google Chrome 91.0.4472.114 (on macOS 11.4), if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately, this is a private development website without a public face. I'll investigate my setup further to see what I can find.

This problem is just annoying rather than stopping my development.

Thanks for your help, and cheers, S t u a r t .

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@svb:

I'm not running these tests in Safari, I'm running them in Google Chrome 91.0.4472.114 (on macOS 11.4), if that makes a difference.

The "Hide on this page" behavior should be the same between the two browsers, as far as I know.

Unfortunately, this is a private development website without a public face. I'll investigate my setup further to see what I can find.

Since we don't have access to that website, we can try looking at the page details. Please see these instructions from my colleague Yaron to see how to collect them, in case you want us to take a look :+1:

This discussion has been closed.