1password x beta can't integrate with desktop app

I cannot get 1Password X Beta to work with my desktop app. It just says this:

"Unable to establish connection with a 1Password desktop app. Install a desktop app from the 1Password downloads page."

I literally just downloaded both the extension and the desktop software, so clearly they are both on the latest versions:
1Password Beta X: 1.21.1
1Password: Version 7.6 (70600005)

I REALLY need 1Password X to work with touch Id, otherwise I will stop using it. It's just excruciating having to type out my master password every ten seconds to use your extension and this is very frustrating.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 1.21.1
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1password x beta can't integrate with desktop app

Comments

• Hi @willashley23

Desktop App Integration is a beta feature for 1Password X. If you want non-beta Touch ID unlock of the 1Password extension I'd recommend using the "1Password (desktop app required)" extension instead:

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

That said, it sounds like the difficulty you're currently experiencing is because you've installed the latest stable version of 1Password for Mac. Desktop App Integration requires the betas of both 1Password X and 1Password for Mac. You can find instructions on getting the 1Password for Mac beta here:

Use 1Password beta releases

I hope that helps!

Ben

• willashley23
    willashley23
    Community Member

Hi Ben! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I did not realize that. I have just downloaded the latest beta (7.7-BETA1), but Im still getting the same error message in my 1PasswordX Beta settings.

• @willashley23

Could you please try giving the Mac a reboot?

Ben

• willashley23
    willashley23
    Community Member

Just tried it, with no luck. I also just tried removing and reinstalling the extension but same result.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Hey @willashley23 ,

Provide/confirm the following:

• Which browser are you using? What is its version?
    • Is your 1Password X version 1.21.1 in that browser?
    • Is your 1Password 7 desktop app's version 7.7 Beta-1?

You can also try this:
    1. Quit your browser completely
    2. Open the desktop app and select the "Help" menu at the top -> "Troubleshooting" -> "Reset 1Password X device keys".
    3. Launch your browser, then right click the 1Password X extension icon and select "Settings".
    4. Turn desktop app integration off, then on again.

• willashley23
    willashley23
    Community Member

@ag_yaron
    in that order:
    1. Chrome: Version 86.0.4215.0 (Official Build) canary (x86_64)
    2. Yes
    3. Yes.
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001)
    1Password Beta

• willashley23
    willashley23
    Community Member

And unfortunately your other suggestion didn't work either.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @willashley23 ,

If you're using Canary, you'll need to copy a file from stable Chrome to Canary: https://support.1password.com/could-not-connect/#if-you-use-chrome-canary-or-microsoft-edge

After that, restart 1Password and the browser:
    1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if integration is working.

• willashley23
    willashley23
    Community Member

That did not work either. Is there no debug information from the extension I can give you all?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Yes, there is.

I'll need you to send it to us via email to support+extensions@1password.com:

• willashley23
    willashley23
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron , I send an email to support with all that info! Please let me know what you think.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @willashley23 ,

We'll get back to you as soon as we can :)

• mischief
    mischief
    Community Member

Hello!

I'm having this same issue as well. "Unable to establish connection with a 1Password desktop app. Install a desktop app from the 1Password downloads page."

Microsoft Edge: Version 84.0.522.59
    1Password X: Version 1.21.2
    1Password: Version 7.7.BETA-4 (70700004)

I've tried the steps above but they don't fix the issue for me, unfortunately.

Additionally, if I restart both the desktop app and Edge, I get the following pop-up from 1Password (attached below).

I'd love to be able to use the TouchID integration, if possible.

Thanks for your help!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Hey @mischief ,

If none of the above helped, please follow the steps of my previous reply here to send us all the info we need so we can troubleshoot this with you:

I'll need you to send it to us via email to support+extensions@1password.com:

Turn desktop app integration off, then on again in 1Password X's settings, then grab the extension's log and attach it to the email: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/
    Attach a diagnostics report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/
    Write a short description of the issue with a link to this forum discussion so we can connect the dots :)

• Clear_Requirement
    Clear_Requirement
    Community Member

FYI, this desktop app integration with 1Password X just got removed: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115228/temporarily-removing-desktop-app-integration

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Yep, but it will return better than ever, in the stable channel as well.
    Hopefully it will be sooner than expected.

This discussion has been closed.