sync add in and ap (mac)

I mostly use firefox but sometimes use chrome. When I add a login using either of the browser extensions, the change does not sync with my desktop ap. Based on the other threads with the same issue, I compared the vault in the desktop ap against the browser extensions and they are the same. I am a brand new user so I only have the one personal vault.

How do I get the desktop ap to sync with the browser extensions?

1Password Version: 7.6 build #70600005
Extension Version: X release 1.20.0
OS Version: OS Catalina v10.15.6
Sync Type: default

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @AKev ,

The extensions should be synced with the app immediately. However, in some network setups, you won't see the new item showing up in the desktop app if the desktop app is opened and unlocked. You'll want to force sync by either switching to a different vault and switch back (to refresh the view) or lock and unlock the app.

In case you're still not seeing the new login in the desktop app after forcing a sync, we'll need to investigate further which should be done via email to our support.
    Let me know if what I suggested does work.

• AKev
    AKev
    Community Member

I have logged out of everything and back in. I created a second vault in the app and then switched back and forth.
    The ap and the browser extension will not sync.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @AKev .

Both the app and extension are syncing data via your 1Password.com account. They do not talk to each other directly. So let's check where the sync fails:
    1. Save a new login in 1Password X.
    2. Log into your account at https://my.1password.com, select your vault and see if that new login is there.
    3. If it is there, open and unlock the desktop app on that same vault and see if the new login is there.

Then, test it the other way around:
    1. Create a new login in the desktop app (by clicking the PLUS icon on its toolbar).
    2. Log into your account at https://my.1password.com and see if that new login shows up.
    3. If it did show up, open 1Password X and see if that new login is present there.

Also, make sure that the vaults the desktop app contains are identical to the ones showing up when you log into your account on our website. If there's an extra vault in your desktop app that does not show up in your account at https://my.1password.com, then it is a local vault that does not sync with your account.

Let me know what you find.

• AKev
    AKev
    Community Member

I went through all of the steps in your message.
    Login and secure notes created through 1P-X does sync with my account immediately
    Secure note in the desktop app does not show up in the on-line account or in 1P-X

I looked at the preferences in the desktop app. The 'local vaults / allow creation of..." is NOT checked

Not sure if it is relevant but when I originally started working with the tool, I imported some logins using CSV into the desktop app. Those logins made it to the master account and show up in the browser extensions. However, no changes after that initial import are updating.

• AKev
    AKev
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I installed the app on a different mac and everything worked fine, which told me the issue was the first computer. I went back to the first computer and followed the 1P instructions for wiping all data and supporting files. I then re-installed. Everything seems to be working now.

Thank you

• Hey @AKev :smile: I'm glad to hear everything is working properly now. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.