1Password on macOS Twitter 2FA

jasondunn
jasondunn
Community Member

There's a problem with the QR code scanner with Twitter. I turned on 2FA, scanned the barcode, and no matter how many times I tried it I couldn't log in without using one of my backup codes. I tried to set it up again tonight twice, and the 2FA codes generated by the QR code just didn't work. I tried the alternate method, which gives me the secret code - and I put that code into the OTP URL string manually, then it worked to properly generate the 2FA auth code.

So I'd encourage the 1Password developers to take a fresh look at how the QR scanner works with Twitter's 2FA system.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6
Sync Type: Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:macos twitter 2FA

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasondunn!

I tried the alternate method, which gives me the secret code - and I put that code into the OTP URL string manually, then it worked to properly generate the 2FA auth code.

Was the OTP URL string different than the one 1Password put there after scanning the QR code?

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Yes, the URL string only started working after I updated the secret code - I changed nothing else. So the 1Password QR scanner didn't pick up the secret code properly.

• Interesting. Thanks for the report @jasondunn. I added my OTP for Twitter to 1Password using the scanner and it worked as expected. We'll definitely keep an eye out for this though. We appreciate the feedback.

Ben

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

How curious! You’re on macOS and using the desktop app obviously...I wonder why it worked for you. 🤔

• I am using the beta version of 1Password for Mac, though I'm not aware of any changes to the scanner. I'll test again with the stable version here soon. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.