how to update when the app won't close

jwb1953
jwb1953
Community Member

Failing to complete an update because the 1password app won't close on MacBook air. tried to bin it in order to start again, but it won't go to the bin for the same reason

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:trying to update on MacBook air, but won't complete. message to close app but it won't close.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jwb1953! Welcome to the forum!

1Password mini is probably still running in your menu bar. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely)? You should be able to complete the update now.

• jwb1953
    jwb1953
    Community Member

It worked. Brilliant, many thanks.

• Glad to hear that worked out @jwb1953. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• ORamr
    ORamr
    Community Member

I have had to use this tip the last couple of updates. But it didn't work this time. When I try it now by doing a right-click on the mini it opens with the Search All Vaults prompt as if I was using it to get to a password. So click and right-click (control-click) are behaving the same way. Currently have MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.7 and 1Password 7.5

• @ORamr

You can also completely quit 1Password by opening it from the Dock and then pressing ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q). Please give that a try and let me know if that works for you. :+1:

Ben

• ORamr
    ORamr
    Community Member

Yes, that worked. Thanks so much. I just don't understand why after years of using 1Password this has been a problem with the last few updates. Should I worry about that or just use your fix each time?

• @ORamr

I understand the concern. It is not typically the case that this step is required. If you're seeing it consistently then there may indeed be a configuration issue. Are you using the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, or from our website?

Please let me know.

Ben

• ORamr
    ORamr
    Community Member

From your website.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ORamr:

If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you perhaps see more than one 1Password app installed there?

This discussion has been closed.