What to look for in 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits to restore note from Time Machine?

RobR_61
RobR_61
Community Member

I want to restore a single, standalone note from a Time Machine back up of 1Password.

Apparently it's somewhere in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library but it's not possible to search for the note's contents (which is reassuring!) and the many file names have gibberish names. How do I track it down please? And once I have, how do I restore it? I've seen here mention of restoring 1Password, but this sounds as though it will restore the whole database, which would end up a mess.

Thank you, Jasper

BTW—searching in your forum is almost impossible because the search returns every single comment that matches the query, rather than every single post

1Password Version: 7.6 ( AppStore)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:time machine restore note

Comments

• Hi @RobR_61

Unfortunately it isn't possible to restore individual items from Time Machine, or in standalone vaults in general. What you could do is make a new backup right now, restore a backup that has the note and copy the contents, and then restore to the backup from today. Once complete you'd make a new item with the contents of the note in question.

1Password backups

Does that help?

Ben

• RobR_61
    RobR_61
    Community Member

Thanks Ben—If I understand you correctly I can't do that. There is no version of the missing note in 1P on my Mac. An Apple-authorised repair company wiped the Mac as part of a fault finding mission. The only form that the note takes is in a Time Machine backup.

Or do you mean that a new Time Machine back up could be created and this would add to what's already there—including the all-important note—then reinstalled into 1P on my Mac?

• Hey @RobR_61

I think I better understand the situation now, thanks. Just to be sure... the item in question was stored in a standalone vault, not a membership vault? If so, in Time Machine, in this folder:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

you should find 1Password's backups. You can restore one of those which had the note. Then use 1Password for Mac to restore that backup (instructions). Once you have the note, you'd restore again but this time select the most recent backup.

To avoid this situation in the future I'd highly recommend an upgrade to 1Password membership, which does have the capability of restoring individual items.

If I've misunderstood and the item was indeed in a membership vault then you can restore it using 1Password.com:

View and restore previous versions of items in your team | 1Password

Ben

• RobR_61
    RobR_61
    Community Member

Thanks again Ben,

I think that this may be a lost cause.

I do have 1Password membership but I'd kept this one note 'standalone' because it only applied to this, particular Mac.

I do not see ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups in my Time Machine drive. I only see ~/Library in a test User account, not in the main User account that the note came from This could be because I'd set up Time Machine that way—thinking that the Library contents were only preference type things that I'd want to set up fresh in my time of need. [Note to self: So in future, especially if I ever create any stand alone 1P notes, I should not exclude Library and should double check that I can access it in the Time Machine drive.]

I had a good look using '⌘ ⇧ .' in Finder to show invisible items and went through Terminal to get to the path. So I don't think that macOS is just hiding it from me.

If I search for '2BUA8C4S2C' in the Time Machine drive in Finder I see only empty folders from the test User account and 3 folders called 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper. Nothing inside looks like a back up.

By the way, the link that you posted first [https://support.1password.com/backups/] seems not to resemble my 1Password menus: There is nothing called 'Backup' under File or in Preferences. And there is nothing called Restore under File. Do you know why this is? I'm using 1Password 7 v 7.6 (70600006), from the  AppStore.

Cheers, Jasper

• Ah, I see. :( Unfortunately without the Library folder being backed up I don't see how Time Machine could help with this situation.

Re: missing menus... My apologies. I forgot those only appear if you have a standalone vault added to the app. So there would be the extra step of first adding a standalone vault (1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts). That said, we do not recommend running standalone vaults alongside membership vaults. There is a reason this is an advanced preference. ;) Without having the backup file to restore from, having the menu won't help, so I would not recommend doing that at this point.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.