Clicking on the Safari extension has no result.

Options
jmassengale
jmassengale
Community Member

The App Store confirms I have the latest extension version

1Password Version: 7.6 from the 1Password store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: the latest Catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension doesn't open.

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi @jmassengale

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. It sounds like you may have ended up with multiple copies of 1Password installed. You mentioned that you're using "7.6 from the 1Password store" but then also "the App Store confirms I have the latest extension version." If you're using the download from our site then the App Store shouldn't be involved at all. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag any copies of 1Password you have to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Thank you, Ben. That worked.

But look at the two attached images. By deciding that 1Password will be a Mac app that doesn't operate like a Mac app, with extensions that don't operate like Mac extensions, Agile Bits sure has made life complicated. Of all the apps, utilities, and extensions I have, I have to remember that with 1Password in Safari, and only 1Password in Safari, I have to ignore what Apple says and act differently.

Real Question: Why does Agile Bits think that's a good idea?

Why not make an extension that doesn't require being unique in the Mac universe? It would be easier for your users.

I'll see if this has also solved the updating the login problem.

• Ben
    Options

@jmassengale

Apple is pushing you to their ecosystem — which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you play in their sandbox you play by their rules. If you were to install 1Password from the Mac App Store (exclusively) this would operate as you expect.

Ben

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, Apple is not pushing me to their sandbox. I chose to be there. And of all the apps, utilities, and extensions I own, 1Password alone chose not to play by the rules. I don't like that. I'm sure very few do.

Agile Bits would make our lives easier if it played by the rules, like everyone else. Please pass that on. thank you

• Ben
    Options

@jmassengale

I think you may have misunderstood my message. My apologies for any confusion caused. My point is if you install 1Password from the App Store, instead of from our website, it does exactly as you say. The catch is you can't have it both ways — you can't download it from our website and expect it to behave like an App Store app. If you want an App Store app, then download it from the App Store. ;) We offer both, so customers have a choice. :)

Ben

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Thanks, Ben. I just want it work, easily. This morning, the Safari extension no longer opens. I have not done anything that should have made it stop working.

• Ben
    Options

@jmassengale

Let's try a slightly different approach:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag any copies of 1Password you have to the Trash
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from the Mac App Store
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

If the problem returns after doing that we'll need to take a deeper dive. To facilitate that I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115010/clicking-on-the-safari-extension-has-no-result#latest
    • Your forum username: jmassengale

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

I have deleted the 1Password 7 app and emptied the trash.* Before I download the app from the App Store, I KNOW my current 1Password subscription is NOT from the App Store. Therefore, that seems like a dead end. No?

• I was surprised to see how many 1Password .zip files I had, probably somewhere between 50 and 100, going back many years. I also have things like plist perhaps going back to 1Password 4
  • jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted the app. I deleted all 1Pass zip files. I restarted and downloaded the app from Agile Bits. This time, unlike yesterday, I was asked to choose an account (I have two on my computer from when there was some confusion installing 1Pass 7). So far, the Safari extension is working.

• Ben
    Options

@jmassengale

By downloading from us you aren't getting that Apple-ecosystem experience you were looking for, but it should otherwise work. Regarding your subscription being from us and not from Apple... it doesn't make a difference in terms of where you can download the app from. I'm glad to hear it is working now. Please let us know if anything else comes up. :+1:

Ben

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

it doesn't make a difference in terms of where you can download the app from<<

That's surprising. I'm pretty sure I was told not to download from the App Store. For the moment, it ain't broke, and here's hoping. Thanks

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome. If you have any questions, we'll be close at hand. ;)

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This morning, the Safari extension has stopped working again. Just like yesterday.

**Are you sure that I can download the App Store app and use it with my 1Password subscription?

NOTE: I have a journalist subscription from 1Password. I believe I was told I cannot use the App Store app.**

• Ben
    Options

@jmassengale

Please send us a diagnostic report as outlined in this post so we can have our extensions team take a closer look. This obviously shouldn't be reoccurring on a daily basis and I'm afraid uninstalling and reinstalling again is just going to kick the can down the road.

Ben

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

First, I next noticed that the Chrome extension didn't open either.

I opened the 1Password app, and BOTH extensions opened when I tried again.

NOTE: Both opened the day before after installing the new app.

Second, I just changed a password. 1Password did NOT save the login, and I couldn't find where it saved the new password. Insult to injury, I had to change the password because 1Password did not save a change 12 days ago.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmassengale:

Have you emailed us a diagnostics report already? Did you receive a ticket number?

This discussion has been closed.