Bug - Extra Mystery Tag [Under investigation]

joeShjoeSh
edited August 6 in Linux Development Preview

I have an extra tag in my "TAGS" section for skype in the Linux app. When I type "skype" into the searchbar on 1passwordX no result comes back.

1Password Version: edge,now 0.8.0-22506 amd64
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Pop!OS 20.04 LTS
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hey @joeSh

I'm not seeing such a tag on my installation. Do you have any ideas about where it might've come from? Do you see this tag in any of the other 1Password apps (e.g. my.1Password.com web app)?

Ben

• Hi Ben,

Clarification. The extra tag is called "Skype". I think my wording was bad because it was late at night (learned about 1password Linux and got excited). This is why I typed in "skype" into the search bar to see what would be returned.

I checked out the tag on my Mac and also on 1passwordX and do not see this tag (forgot to write that in the initial post). My guess is that this problem is related to my specific dataset/passwords/items.

Things to note:
    1) I did import data from lastpass when I first joined 1password a while back.
    2) On my Mac App I checked my trash (based on a hunch) and there are two Skype related items. One is a secure note for skype.com and one is a login entry for Skype. The secure note has a "lastpass-import-11/23/16" tag but the skype item doesn't seem to have a tag.

My Skype credentials were trashed because everything uses Microsoft login so I think these two items in the trash are the only items related to skype.

Let me know if you have any follow up but since I know this is a new release feel free to ignore this problem and I can chime in if I still see this issue later (The logic being maybe this will be accidentally fixed in the future)

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi @joeSh,

We definitely do not want to ignore anything, that's the main reason we're doing these public development releases. As we continue to build up the app, we'd like to catch these issues as early as possible as our Linux app is brand new from ground up and so there may be some data stuff that we may not catch.

Just to clarify, if you select the tag on the sidebar, you don't see any items in the item list?

• Hi @MikeT

"We definitely do not want to ignore anything, that's the main reason we're doing these public development releases. "

Cool. Let me try and rephrase that in case I was confusing. There might be multiple problems.

1) There is a tag called "skype" that I feel that shouldn't exist. I don't recall creating that tag AND I don't see it on 1password for mac and 1passwordX. Also when clicking on the "skype" tag I don't see anything in the list.

2) "Just to clarify, if you select the tag on the sidebar, you don't see any items in the item list?"
    So after you asked that question I double checked and it seems like some of my tags are missing. Specifically nested the nested tags. Missing 100+ items (mostly old secured notes). I think these tags were autogenerated from the lastpass import and the nested tags are continuations from the date (hence its just numbers for date and year)

Just to clarify that problem #2 is a separate possible issue I noticed based on your comments.

Team Member

Hi @joeSh,

So after you asked that question I double checked and it seems like some of my tags are missing. Specifically nested the nested tags. Missing 100+ items (mostly old secured notes

Do you see the said tags/items on the other platforms?

The reason I mentioned is that tags are saved within the items, so we generate the tags based on parsing your items. If the said items are missing, naturally, the tags will be missing.

Note that in the Linux app, the tags are shown based on the collection view, not the vault like in the other 1Password apps where tags are based on the vault you're viewing.

I think these tags were autogenerated from the lastpass import and the nested tags are continuations from the date (hence its just numbers for date and year)

Correct, what you're seeing is actually lastpass-import-11/23/16, we use the / as the nested tag delimiter.

So if you create a/b/c, you'd see this instead:

a

b

c

• Hi @MikeT

I do not see the skype tag on the other platforms.

Correct, what you're seeing is actually lastpass-import-11/23/16, we use the / as the nested tag delimiter.

Aha this is interesting and makes sense.

• I can see the nested tags in the 1password for mac and 1password for linux
    • The nested "23" and "16" tags in 1password for linux comes up empty but in 1password for mac you see 100+ items. However the parent tag lastpass-import-11 on linux has items in the list (no count number so I cant tell you if it matches up with the numbers I see in 1password for mac but I feel like it might be close or the same)
    • 1passwordX does not show the nested tags but I do see lastpass-import-11/23/16 as a tag but seems to have all the items that should be assigned to it.

Is this helpful? Or am I not understanding

• Or am I not understanding something*

Team Member
    edited August 5

@joeSh, I was able to confirm a bug with the item list, it fails to show the items for nested tags. We'll fix this soon. I also found another bug where it shows results that doesn't match what the items have (I see items in A tag but many items in there without A, just tags with A in it).

ref: ref: dev/core/core#2368

The nested "23" and "16" tags in 1password for linux comes up empty but in 1password for mac you see 100+ items. However the parent tag lastpass-import-11 on linux has items in the list (no count number so I cant tell you if it matches up with the numbers I see in 1password for mac but I feel like it might be close or the same)

The parent tag shows all of the nested items but the nested tags is limited to items that is saved precisely that entire nested tag path. In other words, 23 only shows all items that have lastpass-import-11/23 but nothing else. If all of your items are saved with the same lastpass-import/11/23/16, it should only show up in the parent tag and under lastpass-import/23/16, nothing in 23 itself.

That's why we stopped using / in our automatic import tag and switched to - instead when we've implemented the nested tag support a few years ago.

• Hi @MikeT

Just wanted to let you know that after the last update the nested tags behave similarly if not exactly the same as the macos 1password.

The extra "skype" tag is still there. If you want me to do a screenshare to show you whats going on through zoom or jitsi please let me know.

Regards,
    Joe

Team Member

Hi @joeSh,

We're still polishing the tags implementation, it is not yet done. I'm glad to hear the last update is better than before.

As per policy, we can't do a remote session with your 1Password data for privacy reasons.

Just to be clear, you're still not seeing any items inside skype? We made some changes in the last update to address the item list not showing anything.

• Hi @MikeT

Yup there are no items in the skype tag AND the skype tag doesn't exist on any other platforms and I don't see/recall a reason for this existing. Basically its almost like the software is interpreting something as a tag item maybe? Not sure.

Team Member
    edited August 12

@joeSh, if you make a change in the other 1Password apps, does the change sync to your 1Password for Linux app?

Try to open your terminal and start 1Password from it (enter 1password), do you see any strange errors when you select the Skype tag?

• AHHH

@MikeT Sorry for the delay. I guess I missed this message.

Yes it seems like other 1password apps are syncing. I think I accessed a new password and tested out adding a new starred item.

When running 1password from the terminal the only log that pops up when selecting Skype is [RPC] Handling getItemListEntries

When starting the application this is the only error i get.

INFO  2020-08-19T11:18:07.559 ThreadId(17) [op_db] COMMIT(tx-4)
    ERROR 2020-08-19T11:18:07.559 ThreadId(17) [op_app::actions::unlock] NotImplemented
    [LM] Lock state changed: Unlocked

Skype should be a tag that exists in any of my 1password apps.

Team Member
    edited August 20

Hi @joeSh,

To narrow it down; can you create a new collection for each vault and see if the tag shows up in any specific collection?

To do this:

1. Click your account on top left
    2. Click Manage Collections
    3. Add a new collection and only check one vault.
    4. Click your account again on top left but select that new collection. You should see a filtered sidebar that is showing one vault only.

Do you still see that tag?

If no, try to repeat the process until you find that tag. Then in that vault in other 1Password apps, try to empty the trash for it, does that fix the issue?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file