Updating insecure passwords problem

(See my tech specs below) 1Password 7 has worked well when creating new highly secure passwords and when logging in to websites of which 1Password already has the password (whether generated by 1Password or not). But I am now trying to raise the security level of some old passwords. As I understand, that requires me to login to the website concerned, then run the website's Change Password program, of which first step is to enter the old password, then enter the new password, then confirm it. However, after I manually enter the old password, then move the arrow down to the New Password box, then generate a new password from 1Password, the new password appears in the Old Password box, not in the New Password box, where I want it. And I'm not able to copy and paste it. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for help.

1Password Version: 7.7 beta
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 on Brave 1.11.104
OS Version: OS X 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• This probably isn't you doing anything wrong, @Mutang. 1Password is fairly smart about what to fill where, but it relies on certain conventions being followed and things being as it expects and sometimes they just aren't. This isn't always the site doing something wrong either, it's just the age-old problem of code not being able to make the judgment calls that come so easily to us humans with visual info at our fingertips. If you are able to share the site giving you trouble, though, we can check it out if we've got someone with an account to see if we can teach 1Password to handle it better. If we don't have an account available there to get a peek at that form (or you're not comfortable sharing the site), we can also help you gather the info we'd need.

These sorts of fixes can take time, though, particularly since they need to propagate out to all platforms before you get to see the benefit. Given that, I'd suggest a word-based password for now. That way it's a bit easier type it in the right place yourself and still get that security bump while we're fixing things up. :+1:

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

Thanks, bundkate. I appreciate learning from you about the complexities of the system. Since time is short on my side, I'll just try to conjure up a more secure password, type it in myself, then get 1Password to record it for future use.

In that regard, another, related question comes to mind, if I can raise it here: that is, I see that 1Password shows "Weak" or "Fantastic" or "Very good" as evaluations of some passwords, but for some other passwords it makes no such evaluation at all. Is there some logic to that which I can make good use of?

• Hey @Mutang. :smile: The password strength is computed differently based on how/where the password was generated. The best bet to get a consistently secure rating is to make sure you're using the password generator whenever possible and then using the 1Password extension to save/update that login, rather than copying or typing things in manually. I know that won't always work but this'll make sure that the proper attributes are applied to the password (is it strong, is it randomly generated or human entered, etc.).

• Mutang
    Mutang
    Community Member

Thank you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate and ag_michael, you're most welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.