Form fields not saved

Options

It's common these days to answer security questions (and provide other important information) while creating a new online account. They are often integrated into the login process. When I right click and "Save Login" with 1Password in my browser, my security question responses aren't saved (and they aren't in "Show web form details" either).

A similar issue is saving/completing forms for an online purchase. I can't tell you how many times after completing and submitting a form, there's an error or omission and all the entries are erased. Then, I have to start all over. Before switching to 1P, I used RF. It allowed me to save the purchase form prior to submission so I could instantly refill the page if I encountered any problems.

Is there something I'm missing in 1Password?
Browser: latest versions of Edge, Chrome

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 1.20
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jdalrymple!

When I right click and "Save Login" with 1Password in my browser, my security question responses aren't saved (and they aren't in "Show web form details" either).

Can you give us an example of such a website? If you could share the full URL with us, we would be happy to test it :+1:

It allowed me to save the purchase form prior to submission so I could instantly refill the page if I encountered any problems.

Have you considered using an Identity item in 1Password for this? They come in handy when you have to fill information on a website when it's not a username or a password.

• jdalrymple888
    jdalrymple888
    Community Member
    Options

Recent examples are financial or medical sites that require an invitation, but you can see the problem on many sites when creating a new account, if they ask for information other than name and password—security questions being the most frequent. Try this Fedex site https://www.fedex.com/apps/printonline/#!

An example of a purchase is payment of my automobile registration. They ask for a lot of information, car mileage, online form registration number, emissions test results, etc. things you don't keep in an identity. If you make a single mistake they clear all the fields and you start from scratch. Or purchases with virtual credit card numbers. They are generated on the spot during checkout. I'll need that information later when I go back to that site.

This form is another good example. I usually save a form like this so I have a copy in case there's a problem and for future reference. I've accidently closed a window, etc and lost all my work.

In RF, I could use a shortcut key or right click in any field in the form and it would save the complete form. I also used the feature to keep track of configuration information for devices with web GUI's: e.g. routers, printers, scanners, etc. Am I right that 1Password isn't designed to save forms?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jdalrymple888 ,

1Password used to save all the fields of a form in the past, but it would cause a bunch of useless data to be stored in every login item in a user's database, which would also have unwanted side effects at times, aside from bloating the database. In some instances, autofilling would not work correctly because of these extra unwanted fields that are not related to the username/password, and in some rarer cases, incorrect data would autofill in the username/password fields.

If you want to add security questions, you can add such fields as custom fields in 1Password. If the field's HTML name or label matches the field's name in your 1Password entry, then 1Password will most likely be able to autofill it (unless the website's design is non standard). The same thing goes for any field you'd like to autofill that is not a username/password field. Simply create a custom field as follows:

1. Open your 1Password and select the login entry of that website, then click on "Edit".
    2. While in edit mode, under the username, password and website URL you'll see an empty section where you can create your own fields. Select an empty label and input the field's HTML name or label as it exists on the website (case sensitive).
    3. After naming the field's label, input the field's content (what you actually want 1Password to autofill in that field).
    4. Repeat steps 2-3 for as many fields as necessary.
    5. Click on "Save" when you're done and test autofilling.

In case some fields are not / cannot be autofilled, you will still be able to drag and drop them from 1Password with your mouse into the fields on the website, which is pretty handy in such situations.

Thanks for the feedback here, I can totally see how saving entire forms can be useful to some more advanced users such as yourself. I'll bring it up with the team and see if this is something we can think about without affecting our standard login items creation and saving a bunch of unwanted data in it.

This discussion has been closed.