Downloaded iOS 1PW but all I get is the "New to 1Password" screen.

GaryW1968
GaryW1968
Community Member

Have Family acct on 5 devices. Trying to add it to a new iPad but only the "New to 1Password?" screen comes up and I can't get past it.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS13.5.1
Sync Type: iCloud (I think)
Referrer: forum-search:downloaded iOS 1PW but all I get is the "New to 1Password" screen

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GaryW1968! Welcome to the forum!

On that screen, please select the 1Password.com option in the Already using 1Password section to add your Families account to the app ;)

• GaryW1968
    GaryW1968
    Community Member

Wow, they don't make that clear at all. I kept trying on the iCloud link and it kept telling me it couldn't find a vault. Thank you. Very simple once you know to do that.

• I'm sorry for any confusion, @GaryW1968... iCloud is uninvolved in syncing your data when using a 1Password membership. I'd be interested to know if you have any thoughts on how we could make it clear that "already using 1Password" is the correct option here?

Thanks!

Ben

• GaryW1968
    GaryW1968
    Community Member

Why have any choices if only one of them works? Or ask which version of 1PW you are currently using. Then you'll know what link(s) to provide and you could at least say why the user has to choose, and guide them on what choice to make. I thought my sync was via iCloud. I seem to recall when I switched from an earlier version I was asked about that. I had been using Dropbox but switched to iCloud (I thought) at that time. I think most of 1PW instructions are unclear. You should test these with people who are NOT within your company to see if an outsider understands. Sadly, this is a very common problem; programmers setup a path without considering outside viewpoints. If you want to feel better about how 1PW looks, try using AT&T's website! It's truly awful unless you want to signup for something; if you're a current customer looking for support, good luck! But I digress; sorry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GaryW1968:

Why have any choices if only one of them works?

Only one of them works for you :) But different users configure 1Password in different ways, so we must give everyone the option to configure the app. In other words: at that point of the process, right after you install the app, 1Password does not know where your data is yet. You must tell 1Password where your data is first, in order to configure it. And 1Password is showing you a list of options to choose from, so you can do exactly that.

It's like when you configure your email client, for example: sometimes email apps ask you if you have a Google email, a Yahoo email, or a Microsoft email. Depending on which one to use, you select the appropriate choice. But the app cannot show you just one option at that point, or only users with that email account would be able to use it :)

Thank you also for sharing your thoughts with us! They were very useful :+1:

• GaryW1968
    GaryW1968
    Community Member

"You must tell 1Password where your data is first, in order to configure it." Then tell people that's what you're looking for! And in my case, I apparently was wrong about it. This is exactly what I mean by poor guidance. YOU knew what you were looking for, but a user doesn't!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@GaryW1968 I mean, not to be rude here, but the app literally asks you to tell it where your data is ("already using 1Password"). If you mistakenly think it's in icloud, ibut it's not there, it's noones fault but yours. If you don't know where your data is, how is 1Password supposed to know for you?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GaryW1968:

Thank you again for your feedback! We will see if there is anything we can do to improve that section to make it clearer :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

lol you are a saint @ag_ana, I don't know how you can be so patient :D 1Password is lucky to have you as support person.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sandapa!

I don't know how you can be so patient :D

I have superpowers! :D

And thank you so much for the kind words! They mean a lot, especially in these challenging times <3

This discussion has been closed.