Feature request: password rotation helper utility

hungluong
hungluong
Community Member

Hi,

Is it possible to create a small utility/function to aid in mandatory password rotation? Given how often I have to copy the old password, edit the credentials then regenerate the password - without saving, copy that into "New Password" then saving it, I'd really appreciate any sort of utility that can help me access both the old password and generate a new one quickly.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hungluong! Welcome to the forum!

The 1Password password generator can already help you create new passwords, so you don't need other tools ;)

Change your passwords and make them stronger

• hungluong
    hungluong
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, thanks for replying!

Yes, I know about the generator - what I mean was: during password rotation, you need to enter both the old password and the new one. But currently, I see no way to have access to both of these at once. Therefore, I need to copy the old password, then generate the new one without saving to still retain the old one, since there may be some problem while rotating i.e network connection etc.

I was thinking maybe a "rotate password" button next to "edit"? It's a common enough use case I believe.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hungluong:

during password rotation, you need to enter both the old password and the new one.

When I change the password for a website, this is what I do:

1. I use 1Password to fill the existing password (the old one)
    2. I use the password generator to create and fill the new password on the page
    3. I submit the form
    4. 1Password asks me if I want to update the credentials

This is normally enough. And if something goes wrong, you can always access your entire password history for this login item to check previous passwords ;)

• hungluong
    hungluong
    Community Member

Hmm the password history seems like what I could use. Although I can't find it anywhere on the desktop app nor the web app? I followed https://support.1password.com/item-history yet could not see the "View item history" button.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hungluong:

What operating system are you using 1Password on at the moment?

• hungluong
    hungluong
    Community Member

I'm using both Windows and MacOS

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hungluong:

Thank you for the confirmation. As per the Item History documentation article you read, the feature is available only on 1Password.com in a browser.

However, in 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows (the desktop apps), you can see a password history for a specific item here:

• hungluong
    hungluong
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    I am definitely not seeing that option when right clicking either the item or the password, even ones which I have recently rotated the password. The version I'm using is the latest (7.6.780).

Circling back to my feature request, I do think it's a nice shortcut to have especially for those of us who have to regularly rotate. Sometimes the update prompt does not fire for certain sites, which I have encountered mostly with our internal applications.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hungluong:

I am definitely not seeing that option when right clicking either the item or the password, even ones which I have recently rotated the password. The version I'm using is the latest (7.6.780).

That's 1Password for Windows. Can you try in 1Password for Mac? That's where I took the screenshot from ;) Since you mentioned that you use both Mac and Windows, I am hoping you can check there too :)

In the 1Password for Windows app, you will see that button at the bottom of the item screen:

• hungluong
    hungluong
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Not sure why but mine is actually the other way around: I can see the View Password History button on MacOS at the bottom of the credentials screen, not when rightclicking. The version is also the latest (7.6).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hungluong:

I am running the latest 7.7 beta, so it's possible that there was a change there ;)

This discussion has been closed.