How do I work with vaults, backups, restore items?

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

I just upgraded to Version 7 and I am having trouble figuring many things out.

The instructions for revert say to open the vault select the item and view. There is no "view item history". It does not look like that at all.

I also tried to do it in the desktop version, where instructions are given to backup and restore a standalone vault. The instructions are to go to File > Backup. But there is no "Backup", probably because there is no standalone Vault.

I am quite paranoid about backing things up, and I would like to know how to backup my vault, which seems to only be online.

As you may have noticed, I have a ton of questions about the workflow with the new version, and the online help instructions does not match what I see. So if you have a nice document "new workflows after converting from Version 6 to Version 7", that would save me lots of frustration and save you from getting all the dumb questions.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

@jasimon9

I apologize for any confusion. The instructions are for the web app, at https://my.1password.com/. You should see the options you're looking for there. Hopefully in the future we can bring those options to the desktop apps as well, but for now they are only available in the web app.

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I am still wondering about how synchronization/storage is working. I understand that the main storage now for me is in 1password.com. However, when I look in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Drive Options, 1Password7.app shows as having documents and data in iCloud. Which documents and data are stored this way? I would have follow up questions depending upon your answer.

1. Still find the instructions difficult. Here is an attempt to follow your instructions: You have the following instructions online for reverting an item:

I open the vault, select an item by clicking on it. I am supposed to see "View Item History". I don't see anything like that. I see something like this:

How do I get to the place where "View Item History" is available. For that matter, "open the vault" is really vague. I am accessing a vault"--but maybe "open a vault" is different from just looking at it.

Please advise.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9:

Which documents and data are stored this way? I would have follow up questions depending upon your answer.

I think those might be just configuration settings for 1Password. Your data is not stored on iCloud, as you correctly said.

I open the vault, select an item by clicking on it. I am supposed to see "View Item History". I don't see anything like that.

For confirmation: does this item have an item history? You will only be able to see the item history for items which have been changed in the past. If an item was created and then never changed, it would have no history, so the button would be hidden for that item.

Items which do have item history will show the button right below the Show Web Form Details button you can see in your screenshot:

I am accessing a vault"--but maybe "open a vault" is different from just looking at it.

It's the same thing in this case: in order to access a vault, you must open it, so you did the right thing :+1:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding the "view item history" button--in 1P 6 very many of my items had item history. In the desktop application, there is a button "View Password History" as well as "View Saved Form Details". However in the X version, there is no such button. If I click on "edit" in X, it takes me apparently to the 1P.com page, but there is still no password history.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9:

If I click on "edit" in X, it takes me apparently to the 1P.com page, but there is still no password history.

The password history is not visible while you are in Edit mode. Please make sure you exit edit mode on the 1Password.com website. If this item has previous password, the button will then appear at the bottom of the item :+1:

This discussion has been closed.